Chapter 41

Skyler’s POV

As I walked into our apartment, I called for him to help me with the bags, but he did not reply.

Strange, I thought as I carried the groceries into the kitchen. He said he’d be here when I got back.

A square white piece of paper caught my eye I as I opened the fridge to put in the milk. I removed the magnet that pinned it to the cool white surface and read the following message:

I have captured Mr. Snuggles. Prepare dinner for two and bring it to the bedroom or the teddy bear gets it. Call the cops and you’ll never see Mr. Snuggles again.

PS: Make dinner light; I have plans for later and I don’t want to feel all stuffed and bloaty. The plans include you, so don’t eat too much either.

I blinked several times before I realized what was happening: Kee had kidnapped Mr. Snuggles and he wanted dinner as ransom.

I barely restrained myself from squealing; this was going to be our best date yet!

I loved role playing and now I could play the brave, selfless hero coming to the rescue of the little innocent teddy bear while Keegan was my sexy and dangerous opponent.

I bounced around the kitchen, opening the fridge and cupboards while in my mind I enlisted what ingredients we had and wondered what to make.

What does one cook as ransom anyway?

I briefly considered going to my opponent’s hideout (a.k.a. our bedroom) and asking him what he wanted for dinner. But no, that would ruin the game. I should not contact the villain before it was time to meet his terms.

I took my phone and started typing. Ten seconds later, I was frowning. Apparently when you google “what to cook as ransom” you get articles about some dude named Ransom Cook.

What kind of person would name their child Ransom? I wondered, putting the phone back in my pocket.

“Might as well make him some mushroom barley soup,” I mused aloud. “It was the first thing I ever cooked for him anyway. I should probably skip the soda cap this time though.”

*****

“Pssst,” I placed the tray on the floor and knocked on the door. “I brought the ransom. Do you have the goods?”

“This is a hostage situation,” Kee’s voice shouted from the bedroom. “You are not buying anything from me; don’t use ‘the goods’.”

“Oh, sorry. Can I still come in?”

“Only with the ransom.”

“First, I need proof that Mr. Snuggles is okay,” I insisted.

“You want to what? Speak to him?” He sneered still not unlocking the door.

“That would do it.”

“Well, you can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Apart from the fact that he’s a toy that’s not the main star in the Ted movie and therefore can’t speak,” he paused and his voice was amused when he went on: “I gagged him.”

“You what?”

“With a pair of socks.”

“You monster!”