Chapter 19

A/N: I’m dedicating this chapter to madys__ for being such an awesome fan and voting on all my stories. Thank you so much for your support my biggest Brazilian fan

*****

Skyler’s POV

This hospital was nothing like what I was used to.

Whenever Beth or I got sick or had to get our shots, we’d make an appointment. Our driver would then take us to see our general practitioner. We’d have no problem parking as it was a private hospital. Once we entered the creamy-colored hallways, we’d be greeted by a pretty, smiling nurse in a pristine white uniform who went out of her way to satisfy our needs; you know the type – every boy’s naughty nurse fantasy embodied. She’d take us to a spacious waiting room with comfortable designer sofas and couches. There would be a table – a modern combination of glass and wood, with a stack of the newest magazines; fashion, sports, politics… You name it, it will be there. She’d ask us if there was anything we’d like to drink while we waited (yes, that was a part of her job) and then she’d bring it to us for free. Once we finally got to see our doctor – cheerful but professional, we’d be brought into his large, well-lit office and he’d use the latest technology to diagnose us. And he’d always give us lollypops or candy on our way out, even though my sister and I were no longer teenagers.

This hospital in Aberville on the other hand…

Chaos.

Busy nurses in ugly pink uniforms flew past me, shouting at each other and at the patients; sullen doctors barely looked at a chart or the person in front of them before grumping to them to come into their offices; as for the offices themselves… I had not seen the inside of them but judging by the once white now grey walls and the yellowish plastic chairs in the cramped space they labeled a waiting room, I’d say I never want to step foot into one of those offices; no modern technology here that was for sure! No lollypops or candy, not even magazines and I was ready to bet my head that if there was Wi-Fi, the connection would be lousy and it would be password secured.

Not like in the hospital back at home.

I missed the quiet waiting room with its comfortable sofas; I missed the lollypops; I missed the free drinks and Wi-Fi; I missed the hot nurse!

I looked at the nearest woman who held that position here; if I ever had dreams about her, they’d be nightmares.

What was taking them so long anyway?

Keegan’s nose wasn’t broken, was it?

He took a strong punch from a guy who was build like an armored brick house (who’d put armor on a brick house?), but I was still pretty sure it wasn’t broken.

I shook my head.

It was my fault we were here. If it wasn’t for me, my roommate wouldn’t have gotten struck in the first place.

It was Thursday – Keegan’s day off even though it was his first week of work. We’d gotten home after classes, ate and were done with our homework in no time; that had been a first for us so we’d decided to go out and enjoy the lovely afternoon weather. Unfortunately, while we were walking the streets, we’d ran into a… let’s call the guy an acquaintance, shall we?

A burly, gorilla-sized acquaintance who at our last meeting saw me making out with his girl, commented in details how he’d rip my head off then use it as a football and chased me around Aberville with his two equally athletic and armored brick house-built friends.