Chapter 43

A/N: I plan a short Ten in One (Alice and the gang present of course). What’s that? Well, read the next chapter and you’ll find out! ;)

*****

Alice’s POV

“You are going to be the most beautiful bridesmaid,” Beth chirped, as she tied the green ribbons behind my back. I smoothed the silky fabric of the dress with my fingers and smiled.

“I disagree; you looked better at your cousin’s wedding, Beth.”

“Let’s not argue about this now,” she insisted with a roll of her eyes.

“Let’s just hope Sky and I won’t have to hide from a loony clergyman at this wedding.”

“Doubt it! Besides, with your pedantic mother and aunt Azalea overlooking the proceedings, what could possibly go wr…”

“No!” I covered her mouth with my palms. “Don’t say that.”

“Don’t say what? ‘What could possibly go wrong’?” She asked after slapping my hands away.

“Beth!”

“What?”

“Whenever someone asks that, something always goes wrong,” I explained, feeling tension building up in my body.

“The only thing that’s wrong here is that you are not wearing a necklace,” she murmured reprovingly.

“Caden told me not to put one on,” I explained.

“Caden? What does he know of fashion?”

A knock on the door accompanied with “Are you two dressed?” put a stop to our conversation.

“Speak of the devil,” Beth grinned and I went to open the door while she moved in front of the full-length mirror to rearrange her bun.

“Wow,” I exclaimed, seeing my boyfriend in a suit and tie.

“I promised Elanor I’d dress accordingly,” he explained with a shrug. “Beth, could you give us a minute?”

“Sure. Gotta go find my own elegantly dressed significant other anyway.” She grabbed her cream-colored bolero off one of the chairs and left the improvised dressing room.

“I’ve got something for you,” Cade said as he reached into his pocket. “Stand in front of the mirror with your face to it.”

I did as I was told and he moved behind me. I gasped as a beautiful necklace was placed around my neck. The wire jewel was shaped like a tree with several shades of green beads serving as leaves.

“Caden, it’s gorgeous.” I turned around and kissed him. “Where did you get it from?”

“From a crafts shop on my way back from work.” A shadow passed over his face. “I was going to give it to you sooner but it was around the time Marc showed up in town so…”

“Oh, I see.” I eagerly mused over a way to change the topic. It was Aunt Flora’s wedding day and I didn’t want anything to ruin our mood. “Is Will ready yet?”

Caden laughed.

“We lost him,” he replied.

“What?” I shouted, running towards the door. “What do you mean you lost the groom?”

“Alice,” he grabbed me by the hand before I could reach the door. “’We didn’t lose lose him. He said he was nervous and that he was going to take a walk around the grounds; he’ll be back.”