Chapter 42

Caden’s POV

Her bluish-grey eyes shone brightly as she smiled at us the moment Alice and I walked in.

“You are late,” she tried to chastise us but her gentle tone prevented that.

“Sorry, mom,” I apologized, embracing her. “The bus from Aberville was late.”

“Oh, well, you are here now,” she let go of me and turned to Alice. “What’s in the flower pot?”

“A few stems of chamomile,” she replied, approaching the bed. “Where should I put it?”

“On the nightstand; not that there’s much of a choice.”

I looked around mom’s new room. Ever since her last psychiatric evaluation, in which she was deemed much improved, my mother was moved to a ward for people who were not considered a risk for others or themselves; if she continued to get better, we might even be able to take her home. I was apprehensive about it since I was in Aberville and Logan was also out of town which meant it was Gavin would have to take care of her… With the help of Cillian, of course.

But for now, mom was to stay in her single room in the hospital. It was even smaller than her previous one but the large window, the colorful bed sheets and the wooden surface of the nightstand, wardrobe, square table and chair made the room appear less sterile compared to the previous one with its a tiny window and plastic chair and table.

“Just put the plants there and come give me a hug,” my mom prompted, spreading her hands towards Alice.

My girlfriend placed the pot next to my mom’s bed and embraced her.

“It’s good to see you, Rachel,” she murmured, letting go of my mother and sitting next to her.

“No, not here, my sweet,” mom got up and took Alice by the hand. “I’m allowed to go out now when there’s someone to observe me. Let’s go to the garden.”

Alice and I looked at each other in hesitation. Was it a good idea to take my mother out on our own without the nurses present?

“Oh, come on, you two,” mom whined like a child. “I want to feel the sun on my skin and the breeze on my face.”

She looked so hopeful that I nodded in agreement; I couldn’t say no to her when she was so enthusiastic and… alive. Alive, happy and calm – those were the best words to describe her now.

The hospital garden was like a park. Dirt paths split the well-kept lawns, covered here and there with colorful patches of flowers. After a brief walk, the three of us sat on one of the many wooden benches, under the shade of a large tree.

“So what is new with you two?” My mother asked. “Are you getting ready for the wedding?”

“Us?” I laughed. “It’s Flora and Will who are getting married, mom. But there’s something else that’s new.”

“Oh? What is that?”

“Skyler and Keegan are together,” Alice replied and my mom furrowed her eyebrows.

“But I thought those two already lived together?”

“Now they are dating,” my girlfriend clarified.

“Dating? But I thought… I thought they were straight. I’ve never met Skyler, but I do remember Keegan checking out the nurses each time Cade brought him along; he wasn’t even trying to be subtle.”

“It was a surprise for all of us,” I started to explain. “Except for Asher; he somehow expected that to happen one day.”

“He said it was the way they looked at each other and how they acted when they were together,” Alice put in.