Chapter 12

A/N: I’m dedicating this chapter to iloverain94. Thank you so much for voting and leaving all those lengthy comments

*****

Alice’s POV

“How was he able to win that thing anyway?” Keegan asked once he’d returned to us. He was out of breath and fuming so I guessed he’d been unable to catch Skyler. The male Miller twin was nowhere to be seen.

“Dad took us to a shooting range once when we were kids and Sky got really hooked up,” Beth started to explain in between taking nibbles of her pink cotton candy. “There was a time when he’d spent at least three hours a day in that place so naturally he became quite good at it.”

“And you didn’t think you could’ve warned me about that?” Kee resented, rubbing his chest in circular motions.

Must’ve been quite a chase.

“I wanted to see you confess your affections to a stuffed animal,” Beth commented, gaining a snicker from most of the boys and Morgan. “Anyway, take Mr. Snuggles back.”

She handed the teddy to its new owner. Just then, a group of teenage girls went by.

“What a cute teddy bear!” The first one squealed.

“Is it yours?” Another inquired and Keegan reluctantly nodded.

“I love a guy who’s not afraid to show his softer side,” the last one stated with a flirtatious wink. “Can I run my fingers over him?”

“You can touch anywhere you want,” Kee murmured huskily. He no longer seemed bother by the giant toy.

The girl approached him, not the least bit abashed by the ambiguous meaning behind his words. We watched as he exchanged a couple of just as suggestive comments with her before she gave him her phone number and walked away with her friends.

“Oh, come on! Even Mr. Snuggles couldn’t cock-block you?” Beth marveled.

“What can I say,” Kee smirked. “If you got it, you got it.”

*****

“How is the University life?”

My aunts’ cozy kitchen with its smell of homemade food wasn’t where I was used to have conversations with my mother. As a general rule they were held in Elanor’s vast, sterile living room. I also wasn’t used to seeing her in casual clothing. Her preferred hairstyle – the tight signature bun, remained unchanged.

“It’s good,” I replied, taking a sip of my tea.

“Do you enjoy your classes?” She inquired again, fishing for questions. I knew she was making an attempt to bond with me and I appreciated it, but I couldn’t help expect to be reprimanded each time she opened her mouth.

“Some are boring, others I like. Having Beth around certainly makes them more entertaining.”

She nodded and we fell into silence. I lifted my cup to my lips just for the sake of doing something.

“And the apartment, do you like that?” Was what she asked me next. I noticed that she was tapping her own cup with her finger, a telltale sign this conversation was going nowhere.

“Yes, and our landlord is really friendly.”

I smiled, thinking about Calvin Andrews – our always jolly, kind-hearted landlord and supervisor of the order in our apartment building. Turning my gaze towards Elanor, I saw her purse her lips and I could almost hear the words of complaint which were swirling in her head: ‘Alissa, what does it matter if he’s friendly? He’s your landlord, does he do a good job t that?’