Chapter 26

Caden’s POV

She stood in front of the canvas, her eyes glistening and her cheeks wet from the tears. I was not worried about her anymore because I knew that this time she’d cried from happiness.

Happiness that I had brought her.

I felt overwhelmed from all the negative emotions that her distress had stirred in me mixed with the relief that I still had her trust and the pleasure that I’d brought her joy.

“And your coursework? Will you be selling that?” She asked, and I sensed worry in her tone.

How could she think that?

That picture was dearer to me than any other I’d ever drawn. It was the embodiment of Alice – my life, my love, my world – and I would not part with it even if someone offered me millions.

“No, that stays with us,” I reassured her. “I don’t mind putting it on display in a gallery though,” I admitted. It was unfinished but I could already tell it would be one of my finest works. How could it not when I put so much love in it?

And I really wanted to show it off; I wanted to show off the perfect creature that Alice was and I wanted everyone to marvel into this celebration of her virtues.

I embraced my girlfriend.

“Now, let’s give you a grand tour around my studio, my little Alice. But I should warn you: you’ll be seeing a lot of your face in my work.”

“Don’t you have enough of me already?” She asked.

“Haven’t I told you that I can never have enough of you, Alice?” I replied, hugging her tighter. “My little, sweet, innocent Alice.”

*****

Keegan’s POV

“What happened?” Was my roommate’s greeting as he ran to me as soon as I entered apartment 202.

“What do you mean ‘what happened’?” I questioned in turn, closing the door behind me.

“Did you guys… talk?”

“Did you leave me there with Alice so that we’d talk?” I asked, getting suspicious.

“Are we going to communicate only through questions now?”

“Skyler!”

“Alright, alright! I left so that you and Alice could talk; no need to raise your voice.” He slumped on the couch. “So did you? And if you are mad at me, please shout at me later because I’ve spent all afternoon worrying about you two and I think I’ll go insane if I don’t get an answer soon.”

“You were worried about us?” I was confused. Didn’t he leave me there to speak with Alice about her problems? What did he mean by us?

“I thought you still had feelings for her. Didn’t you talk about that?”

“You thought…” I was speechless.

How could Skyler of all people worry about that?

He was way too carefree and always had his head in the clouds. He wasn’t what I’d call astute even though he sometimes surprised me. It wasn’t a miracle if he noticed his sister or Alice having problems – he loved them both so he paid attention when it came to them - but when did he start worrying about me?