5.3 The Warmth

Arabella ate the food that Jon gave her

Arabella ate the food that Jon gave her. It wasn't delicious as she was used to but Arabella was hungry. She got new clothes, warmer than she was wearing for the past months.

Tears kept falling down her face as she stared at the fire. Alec was dead. All Arabella wanted to see was her best friend, to hug him. But he was gone. Another loss was too much to handle.

There was a knock on her door. She thought that it was Caine but it was Jon. He walked in and sat next to her.

All of his feeling for her came back the moment he saw her again. "How?" she asked silently. "How did he die?"

"He and his brother died defending the Wall." he looked at her face. He thought he forgot her. He truly loved Ygritte. But Arabella was his first love. Even if she didn't know that.

"Jon." Arabella touched his shoulder seeing him deep in thoughts.

"Sorry." he mused. "He told me about you." Jon said meaning Alec. "He convinced me that you were not guilty for Robb's death. He even wanted to leave the Wall, so he could get to you..."

"You believed the rumors." she sighed looking down. "I loved your brother. He left me too soon. With his child..."

"How did he--" Jon began but didn't finish as he didn't know of what to say. "How did he die?"

"Please don't make me remember all of it." she shook her head as tears welled down her cheeks like a never ending waterfall. "I don't deserve to be loved... He died because I let him marry me. Alec died because he met me. Nora... Eddard died after I left him... Catelyn..." she whispered remembering all the deaths that affected her life.

She stopped realizing what she did. "I am an evil person. Robb told me I wasn't but I am!"

"No..." Jon shook his head.

"Yes!" she shouted. "I've risked my son's life to find out that Alec died! What if--"

"Arabella!" Jon interrupted. "Put everything aside. Think about your son now..." he comforted her and she stopped.

"Thank you." she smiled faintly. "For letting me stay here..."

"I am your son's uncle." he smiled a little as well. "Who is that man that came with you?"

"Caine Tyrell. He's helping me." she answered with a nod.

"Tyrell?" Jon asked unpleasantly. He didn't like the Tyrell's. Mostly because they were connected with the Lannisters.

"I trust him." Arabella told him and then looked at the fire. "We... We killed some deserters that attacked us..."

"I know. Ser Thorne found them. Let's just keep things quiet. It wasn't you nor... Caine." Jon nodded but that still didn't comfort Arabella.

"I killed one of them. And the worst part is that I knew him. I was the one, who sent him here." she said with furrowed eyebrows.

"What happened is in the past." Jon nodded taking her hand in his. She looked at him. "Stop worrying so much. It will be bad for your child."

"You're right." Arabella nodded and smiled wider. "Reddard is the most important thing now..."

"Reddard as..."

"Robert and Eddard." she smiled. Jon did too.

"I'm happy to see you again, Arabella." he said and she hugged him. Jon closed his eyes.

It was true what they said: first love would always be first.

"Tonight the new Lord Commander will be selected." Jon pulled away from the embrace.

"Can I come?" she asked.

"You're a Queen. I think you know the answer." Jon mused with a smirk and she blushed.

Arabella then remembered her Uncle. "What is Stannis doing here?" she asked.

"He wants to take Winterfell from the Boltons." Jon answered with a frown.

"Sounds like him." she sighed and Caine then walked in. Jon stood up. They were looking at each other for a while. "Caine." Arabella mused and he looked at her, his eyes softening.

"I'll leave you alone." Jon nodded glancing at her one last time and finally leaving the chamber.

"He's your son's Uncle?" Caine asked looking from the closed door to her.

"Yes." Arabella nodded and stood up with a slight groan.

"Doesn't seem like it." Caine told her and she gave him a look. "I hope you feel better..."

"No." Arabella shook her head. "I just found out my best friend died."

"I'm sorry." he walked over to her. She took his hand in hers and raised it to her neck level.

"Caine, promise me that you will never leave me. That you won't die being next to me..." she spoke and he nodded right away.

Caine wanted to kiss her but knew that she wouldn't let him. "We should go." she said to him and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"You should rest." he advised her and she smiled.

"I'm alright." she put on a cape with fur on it and the two left the room.

Vote, read, comment.