5.4 The New Commander

Arabella and Caine walked into the hall, where the men of Castle Black used to eat

Arabella and Caine walked into the hall, where the men of Castle Black used to eat. But then, they were all gathered around for an election of the new lord commander.

She saw Jon talking with his friend Sam. They walked over to the two men. "Is everything alright?" she asked with a small smile.

"Yes." Jon nodded and went to sit down. Arabella sat down next to him.

Arabella saw Maester Aemon stand up. He was an old blind man. "Does anyone wish to speak for candidates before we cast our tokens?" he spoke in a weak voice. "For the 998th Lord Commander of the Nights Watch..."

She saw Janos Slynt stand up. Arabella knew him. She had seen him in Kings Landing before. "Ser Alliser Thorne is not just a knight. He's a man of true nobility. He was acting commander when the Wall came under attack and led us to victory against Wildlings. He's been defender of the Wall almost all of his life. He's the only true choice." people started clapping. Arabella glanced at Jon, who wasn't happy. She realized that they weren't friends.

Another man stood up and she looked at him curiously. "Ser Denys Mallister joined the watch as a boy and served loyally  longer than any other ranger. He's commander of the Shadow Tower, he kept the Wildlings away. We can't do no better." he said and Jon nodded his head.

"If there's no one else we will begin the voting. The triangle tokens come for Ser Alliser Thorne. The square tokens for Ser Denys Mallister... Each--" Maester Aemon started but got interrupted.

"Maester Aemon!" Sam said and everyone looked at him.

"Samwell Tarly. Go on." Maester Aemon nodded and Jon shook his head at his friend.

"Sam The Slayer." Slynt mocked. Arabella sent him a glare. "Another Wildling lover just as his friend Jon Snow. How's your lady-love, slayer?"

Arabella looked at Jon, who had his head down. "Her name is Gilly, but Slynt knows her quite well. They coward together in the chamber during the fight for the Wall." Sam shot back.

People started laughing. "Lies!" Slynt shouted enraged.

"A wildling girl, a baby and Lord Janos. I found him when the battle was over in his own making... While Lord Janos was hiding with women and children Jon Snow was leading. Ser Alliser fought bravely, it is true, but when he was wounded it was Jon, who saved us. He took the charge of the Wall's defend. He went to North to talk with Mance Ryder. Not only certain to mention to put him out of his death... Before that he led the mission to avenge Lord Mormont. Mormont himself chose Jon to be his steward. He saw something in Jon and now we've all seen it too. He may be young, but he's the commander we turned to when the Night was darkest..."

Arabella started clapping with a smile. "Aye." Ser Alliser said. "I can't argue with any of that. But who does Jon Snow want to command. Nights Watch or the Wildlings? Everyone knows he loved a wildling girl, spoke with Mance Ryder many times. What should've happened between these two old friends if Stannis army hadn't coma along. We all saw him put the King beyond the Wall out of his misery. Do you want to chose a man whose fought the Wildlings all his life or a man who loved them?"

"It is time." Maester Aemon said and men started putting tokens to a vase. Jon didn't say a word.

"I didn't know." Arabella whispered to him. He looked at her with a hurt look on his face. "I'm sorry..."

It was a tie between Ser Alliser and Jon. Maester Aemon stood up. It was his time to vote. He touched the tokens and placed one on Jon's. People started clapping loudly. Jon smiled. He looked at Arabella, who was clapping with a soft smile on her face.

Sam hugged him. Arabella stood up. "Snow, Snow, Snow!"

Arabella joined the chanting and he chuckled. "Congratulations, Jon." she mouthed.

"Thank you." he breathed out.

Vote, read, comment.