Chapter 2

Parts with different color indicates that the scenes happened in the past. :D

*****

It has been three years since I’ve moved here in South Korea. I didn’t have much friends during the earlier years of my stay here. It was a good thing I met Sana, another Japanese student. Unlike me, she is very fluent in Korean because she began to live here since she was 15. A year and a half ago, when we graduated high school, we decided to go to the same university. That’s where we met Momo, also Japanese. The three of us became inseparable ever since, we even decided to live together in a small apartment.

Momo was a dance major, and after a whole year of begging she finally convinced both me and Sana to join the dance club. I thought it was a good idea for me since I dance ballet when I was in Japan. To be honest, I missed dancing. I missed feeling my body going numb because of too much practicing, and sweating too much you can actually see my towel dripping. It was a good distraction for me from my stressful academic life. As for Sana, she honestly told us that she just joined the club so that she won’t get lonely when both Me and Momo disappear from the apartment because of practice. Typical Sana.

When we joined the club, a few other students also joined. One of them was Chaeyoung. She is a year younger than us. Right after enrolling into college, she immediately joined the club because her unnie Jungyeon was also here. Technically, they aren’t really related by blood, but since they grew up together they’re practically sisters.

Out of all the members of the club, I was most distant with Chaeng. She just gives this chic and cold vibe every time I see her. It was only just three months ago that we got to really know each other. Momo being the president of the club, assigned us to become the coordinators of the activity we are holding. She knows that I was a bit awkward with Chaeng that’s why she did that.

*****

“Hey unnie, how about we meet after practice to discuss the details of the upcoming event?” Chaeng asked while I was just putting down my stuff. After I’ve finished preparing my things, I looked at her and she was smiling at me. ‘Well that’s new.’ I found myself staring at her, it’s the only time I’ve noticed those cute little dimples of her. I was cut off my trance when she waved her hand in front of my face as if trying to gain back my attention.

“Y--yes of course!” I struggled a little when I responded since I was stuttering. ‘Why am I like this?’

“You okay Mina unnie? And by the way, I don’t have your number.” She started to look for her phone in her pocket. “It’s been months since we’ve know each other, and your’s is the only number I don’t have.” She finished talking as she handed me her phone.

I took it and typed my number. “Well this is actually the first time we’ve talked to each other like this. That’s why.” I managed to return her phone while smiling back at her.

“Now that you’ve mentioned it, this really is the first time. Haha. I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to talk to you before. Well honestly…” she began to touch her nape and look away from me. “I was a bit scared of you before. But I guess this activity would make us closer huh? “ She now looked at me directly and smiled again.

“It would really be nice if we become really good friends because of this.” I smiled returning the favour.

*****

A day after I’ve given my number to Chaeyoung, she texted me to meet and start with the preparations of our event. We decided to meet up at the coffee shop near the school. I wasn’t really ready, and I had a class before so the first time we meet, I was late.

On the way to the coffee shop, my heart was pounding hard because of nervousness. ‘What if she get angry? Or what if we get into a fight because of this? The activity would be a flop! Momo will kill me!’ these are just few of the things going on my mind as I came near the shop.

The moment I entered the door, I saw her already scribbling a bit on her planner with her headphones on. Her head was swaying a bit, enjoying the music she’s been listening to. I almost didn’t wanna approach her and talk to her so that she can continue enjoying her time, but I got no choice.

I walked up closer to her, tapped her shoulder and offered an apologetic smile. “Hi Chaeng. Sorry I’m late.”

“Not a problem unnie. I know you have class before this.” She looked at me smiling. It felt very welcoming and warm which is the complete opposite of what I have perceived of her. “Why don’t we order something to drink?”

I sighed loudly in relief. She heard me and chuckled a bit. I was so flustered, I wasn’t able to talk to her while ordering. “Unnie would it be alright with you if we don’t start our preparations today?” I still wasn’t able to respond and just stared at her looking dumb.

We went right back to our seats after receiving our orders with me still staring at her. “How about we just try to get to know each other better today, talk about anything other than the activity?” the midget asked. She then proceeded in fixing her things and shoving it into her bag. After that, she placed her chin on her palm and looked at me directly with her smile still sketched on her face.

I was finally able to genuinely laugh because of her. “ Yeah, I think that’s a good idea.”

We decided to walk home together that night. Because of her idea, we were able to shake off the awkwardness between us. Out of habit, I reached out for her arms and hooked my arms around it. But the moment I did, she flinched, making me move my hands immediately away from her. I became shocked and embarrassed again, I was mentally cursing myself for making it awkward again between us.

I was deep in my thoughts when I felt her tug on my sleeves. I turned my eyes towards her and saw her looking down. “I’m not really comfortable with people touching me.” She confessed.

“Yeah, I should’ve been more sensitive. I was just used to it. I’m really affectionate with my friends.” I confessed, averting my eyes away from her because of embarrassment.

“We’re really the complete opposite I guess...” She said quietly. “...But I think we can make it work.”

I looked at her surprised ‘cause her mood suddenly changed. I can now see her crooked teeth while smiling at me.

“I also don’t have a choice anymore since you already consider me your friend. I don’t wanna be rude.” She said with smugness. We looked at each other and burst out laughing.