Chapter 6

‘BZZZZ!...BZZZZ!....BZZZZ!....’

I woke up with the sound of my alarm. I reached out for my phone and turned the alarm off. It read 6:30 am. I have a class in 7:30 am, exactly 1 hour from now. Great.

I moved out of the blankets I used to cover my body in, and tried to stand up. I was so close in successfully standing on my own feet when I felt it. My vision became blurry, and I felt a throbbing on my head. I stumbled down again on my bed. Migraine. Another great way to start my morning. I tried to recall what happened last night.

I came to the midget’s apartment because of Jungyeon. She told me about them not being on good terms while I was trying my best not to gaze at her the whole time. She had her hair tied up which made her look more mature. It also allowed her dimples to show, which is my favourite part of her face. Her cute little pyjamas that she’s wearing, pink with little strawber…. Okay I’m getting off topic.

After I got out from her apartment and walk home, I looked at the stars. They’re as if celebrating with me because I got to spend time with Chaeng, my “favourite dongsaeng”. Yeah, that’s right, just a dongsaeng. Then I remembered the stars slowly fading, and just a few blocks away from my apartment it started to rain.

Rain. I forgot to bring my umbrella. I got soaked. That explains the headache.

“Uugghh” I groaned loudly when I felt the hard pounding sensation on my brain. So I decided to sleep. I chose to ignore my 7:30am Economics class, who needs it anyway?

The moment I opened my eyes again, there was no alarm welcoming me. The headache that I’m feeling seems to have dissipated. I scanned my room and I saw a very familiar figure sitting on the couch across from me. She had her eyes close with earphones plugged in both her ears. She was swaying her head again. Trying to savour every beat and rhythm of the song she’s listening to. A habit of hers I totally adore. Then she finally opened her eyes and noticed me looking at her.

“Unnie, you’re finally awake!” She removed her earphones, stood up and walked towards me. She sat on the chair beside me. ‘Since when did that chair get in here?’ I thought to myself. On my table beside her I noticed a towel dipped in an ice bucket.

“You were absent on your class. I asked Jungyeon unnie about you, and she told me that you’re sick. She checked on you before she left.”

“So you and Jungyeon are talking now huh? That’s nice to hear.” That’s the only information my mind can process right now. It hasn’t even dawned on me that I am, or was sick.

She extended her arms out and reached out for my face. She placed her hand on my cheek very briefly, and then moved it on my forehead to check the temperature. “Yeah, we’ve already went through this phase unnie. We’re practically sisters. Even if we don’t agree on certain things I know we’ll manage to get through it.” She smiled at me as her hands left my forehead.

“That’s good to hear, Chaeng. I hope the two of you can work it out.”

Slowly, the smile on her face faded and she started to look down. “Don’t get me wrong unnie, I’m not homophobic or something. But I just don’t think that the kind of relationship that they’re having will work out. Why invest your time, effort, affection,..

…love

...or whatever emotion it is, on a relationship you know won’t last?” She looked at me again waiting for an answer.

“We can’t control where our heart goes.”

This time, it was me who reached out for her. I moved my hand to where her hand is and held it. I was staring straight into her eyes hoping that she can understand it. All the emotions that I’m feeling I hope it gets through her. “We simply love who we love.”

She suddenly moved her hands away and stood up. She touched my forehead again to check one last time. “Well I think you’re all better now unnie. She then moved her hand that was on my forehead towards her pocket and reached out for the keys. “Jungyeon unnie lent this to me so I can get inside. Can you give this back to her?”

“No problem. And.. uh..” I was scratching my nape, embarrassed by the fact that she took care of me. Again. ..”Thank you for taking care of me.”

“It’s not a big deal unnie. And stop doing that!.”

“What?” I was shocked because she was looking at me with a serious face.

“That thing where you look so shy and embarrassed in front of me. Seriously, It’s no big deal. I took care of you because I know you’ll do the same for me.” She slowly walked towards me, and removed my hand on my nape. And when I looked at her again she’s already smiling at me.

“Mark also told me to take care of yourself more.”

“Really? He knew already?” I asked, still looking up on her while she’s putting on her bag.

“We were supposed to meet today. But an emergency happened.” She patted my head softly. “A certain penguin got sick, and I needed to take care of her.” She teased and snickered which showed her dimples.

The pounding sensation I was feeling on my head now transferred to where my heart is.

“Tell Mark I’m sorry for keeping you from him. I’ll just treat him anything he wants when he comes visit.”

“I’ll let him know.” She smiled at me for the last time before going out of my room. I immediately laid back down to bed. “You also owe me a meal unnie!” She shouted as she went out the front door. The moment I heard the front door close, my eyes also closed again. I went to sleep and travelled once again to dreamland hoping that the moment I open my eyes again, a little cub would be there to welcome me.