We Be Jammin'

Tori looked Cat up and down. She'd hitched a ride with Cat, since her mum and dad were at work, and she flatly refused to ride with her irritating older sister, Trina. As soon as they stepped out of the car, Cat knew Tori was about to judge her for her casual, simple clothes.

"Cat, don't you think they'll be picking out singers who... Y'know, made a bit of... Um, effort?" Tori bit her lip as she spoke, as if she didn't want to argue. This irked Cat a little. Tori was trying to pretend she didn't want another fight, but she was actually pretty much searching for an excuse to start one. After all, that comment wasn't necessary.

"Well, I want them to see me as I normally am, not all tarted up with two pounds of makeup on my face." Cat regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth. For God's sake, I sound like Jade, Cat thought to herself. Not wanting to catch Tori's eye, she plucked at her silver sequin tank top as they walked to the main entrance in silence.

"Girls! Hello!" Matt called, smiling hugely. "Come on, the stage is this way..." He ushered them to a large room, containing about twenty other contestants, with many tables and seats. And there, smack in the middle of the room, was a great big stage.

Well, it wasn't exactly big. It was very long, like a catwalk, and at the end was a large rounded area which was evidently the main part where the singers sang. Cat smiled to herself. A real stage. A real spotlight. A real, real chance of having her turn in the limelight.

She couldn't wait.

Contestant after contestant went up, some confident, brash girls with their skirts impossibly short and heels impossibly high, some twitchy, anxious girls who fiddled with their hair as they sang, some loud, cocky, annoying boys. Pretty much all of them had great voices, flair, big smiles. Cat wondered how they were feeling as the judges scribbled down notes, frowning, whispering. She wondered what they thought when the judges didn't smile, what they were thinking as they casually tried to peek at what the judges were writing.

She'd soon find out.

Tori's name was called out. Cat gave her an encouraging little smile to try and rectify her earlier mistake, all the while talking in Tori's sweaty palms and her bitten nails. But Tori didn't smile back, and simply swaggered onto the stage.

She's so full of herself!

Cat mentally slapped herself. She was hanging out with Jade way too much.

Tori's voice was soon ringing around the room, singing Family Portrait by Pink, but something was wrong. Her voice was a fraction higher, and something that looked like tears were sparkling in her chocolate eyes. Something was wrong. Cat knew that sometimes you got emotional when you were singing, but this was taking it to a whole new level. Halfway through the song, Tori's voice tailed away and she just stood there silently.

Moments later, she let out a dry sob, dropped the microphone, and had ran out before the microphone had even touched the floor. Feedback screeched, and Cat flinched, hands to her ears. What was wrong with Tori?

"C-Cat Valentine," the bewildered announcer called shakily.

Cat debated chasing after Tori, but decided against. She put others before herself too often.

This was her time.

So she walked onto the stage awkwardly, cheeks glowing. As the music started, she picked up the microphone, cleared her throat nervously, and for what seemed like the hundredth time this week, she began singing.

"' There's so much more to me,

Than what you think you see,

So listen to me...

JUST LISTEN TO ME...

You push me back,

I'll push you back,

Harder,

HARDER...'"

Cat closed her eyes blissfully as she sang, connecting with the song. For the first time in forever, she felt really happy, safe, like nothing could go wrong.

And how she loved that lovely safe feeling, how she wished it could last forever...

But all too soon, the song had ended. Breathless, she opened her eyes, squinting in the blinding spotlight. The judges were all staring, open-mouthed. Usually, they'd just scrawl down some notes and shoo you away. But the judges beckoned Cat over. She obeyed, wondering what was happening.

They liked it, she realised excitedly. They really, really liked it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dedicated to TheColdYears for making me a cover! :)

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I'm sorry I've not been updating, but at least this chapter is (hopefully) pretty descriptive. So, yay! Am I forgiven?

Oh, and let's play a little game...

Who can spot a Frozen reference in this chapter? First to comment it below wins a dedication!