29 - Arcadia

(Elissa's PoV)

I flop on the feminine four-poster bed; I cannot believe how amazing my new room is. The bed is on a raised area with an armoire and dressing table. There is a lower, generous seating area and an attached bathroom, with a large claw-foot bath.

If that wasn't good enough, there is a glass door leading out on to a balcony. The views over the semi-formal gardens and woods beyond are gorgeous. It seems surreal to be staying in a castle. The place is huge.

Deciding to pamper myself, I run a bath and sniff the various coloured jars and pots before settling on lavender-scented salts. The warm water is delicious, and laying back, I close my eyes in peace. It is not until I wash my body that my mood is soured by the sight of the silvery lines forming an 'N' against my reddened skin.

Feeling tainted, I wrap a bathrobe around my trembling body. Part of me wants to crumple on the floor and sob, but a stronger part rebels. I refuse to let him rule me.

As the hour for dinner draws closer, I start to fret, firstly about meeting the king and secondly what I'm going to wear. The ball gown Aren got me has not yet materialised and I need a back up plan, so rifle through my bag.

The gorgeous green velvet dress Oren gave me would probably be fit for dining with royalty, if only it wasn't so severely creased. There's also the red silk dress which Zane bought me, but that is in an even more crumpled state and is possibly a bit slinky.

There is a knock and flushed girl enters carrying a large box half as big as she is.

She bobs a curtsy. "M'lady, apologies. I have just finished with Lady Tabitha."

Placing the box on the bed, I sigh a breath of relief as she pulls out the missing ball gown and a pair of matching claret coloured court shoes. It is strange being dressed by someone, nevertheless I am thankful to have help navigating all the various petticoats, laces and buttons.

The girl stands back to admire me and beams. "You will be turning heads tonight, no doubt."

She seems to have second sight, for she ducks out of the room just moments before Aren arrives.

He is looking incredibly dashing, dressed in a well-cut dark suit, white shirt and a waistcoat matching my dress. His normally unruly hair is pulled back and he is freshly shaven. The butterflies flutter excitedly.

"Elissa, you are breathtaking." He holds out his arm. "Will you allow me the honour of escorting you to dinner?"

Feeling as if I'm in a dream, I place my fingers on his proffered arm. He leads me down the grand staircase and along a wide corridor to a set of gilded double doors. Two retainers simultaneously open the doors, allowing us to sweep into the grand hall beyond.

The hall is the size of a church with a vaulted ceiling far above and stained-glass windows lining the walls. At the far end of the room, set on a dais, is the high table. Over a hundred richly dressed people are milling around, engaged in polite conversation.

As we walk towards the dais, the chatter falls to a hush and I try not to squirm under the scrutiny. I find it hard to feel like I belong amongst such opulence.

A pretty girl, about my age, flings herself at Aren. Catching her, he swings her about, causing her strawberry blond curls to bounce, and happily calls out her name. "Tabbi."