77 - Options

Kai's PoV

It does not sit easy with me to merely observe from the viewing gallery. It was bad enough when Cain was sparring with Elissa, spending half the time flirting, but now that Cade has taken over, my inner fire spits and crackles beneath my skin.

When Cade crashes into the wall, the look he gives her promises pain. Well I can promise him that too and we shall certainly be having words later. Instinctively, the muscles in my legs tense, however, Seraphina places a restraining hand upon my thigh, stopping me from springing out of my seat.

"Kai, let this play out."

"No. It has gone too far already. What has gotten into him?"

"I wagered him that he could not get the princess to submit," Seraphina admits, without an ounce of shame.

A low growl rumbles from me. Queen or no, I am not impressed and hope that my glare conveys the depths of my displeasure.

"Shhh," she hushes me and her lip curls with amusement. "I have my reasons. Look to the princess."

Trying to contain the violent thoughts towards Cade, I watch as Elissa valiantly defends against his vicious blows. I am transfixed by her movements, which are as graceful and fluid as silk billowing in the breeze.

When Cade taunts Elissa with her own blood, I am like a river that cannot be stopped, surging forward to the balustrade.  I pause, witnessing first the way the ground undulates as if a wave has passed through the wood and then a six-foot torrent of fire pouring from the palm of her hand. Even for a Dragonite, that is a formidable show of power.

"I'm on fire!" Shock and alarm sound in her voice.

The stairs are too far off, so I vault over the railing and jump down into the arena below, the impact of my boots shaking the wooden floorboards.

Everything fades into the background as she turns to face me. Flames are flickering provocatively all over her body. My own fire sings to blaze free. Instincts override rational thought and demand that I scoop her up into my arms and carry her to my chambers where we can burn long into the night.

I step forward, only to find the way is suddenly blocked by Seraphina. She pacifies my immediate ire with an unusually gentle tone. "Kai, she is not one of us and she is not ready."

The sage words cool my ardour and I blink away the flames of desire from my eyes. This is ridiculous. I am behaving like a hormonal adolescent.

Antares links through. Your inner fire recognises the match with Elissa. However, she is not a Dragonite, so you will have to rely on more traditional methods of courtship if you wish to woo her.

I groan. I do not need this. Do you think Ishtar is displeased with me?

The rich sound of Antares's laughter echoes in my mind. I think the goddess has been most benevolent.

Elissa shakes her arm and blows on her flaming fingertips. "Er, how do I stop being on fire?"

Thankfully Seraphina takes on the task of talking Elissa through the process of recalling her fire. Just the thought of her flames licking against my skin has my own body heating up to dangerous levels. Slowly, her flames recede, starting from the tip of the blazing sword and when the last one flickers out, it becomes a little easier for me to breathe.

Elissa tries to hand back the sword to Seraphina, who shakes her head, insisting, "It has chosen you and will not blaze for another. It was my grandmother's. She would be pleased that it has a new mistress."

I did not think that Elissa could wield a queen's sword and not for the first, nor probably the last time, she has proved me wrong.

.....