52 - Lair of the Dark King

(Morpheus PoV)

Elissa is held captive in my gaze, yet there is defiance glittering in those emerald eyes.

Desiring her submission, I exert more power and watch as my nephew falls to his knees. Meanwhile the girl, though she trembles, remains resolutely standing.

My interest piqued, I sit a little straighter. Last night when Celestia heralded the girl with such pride, I merely thought her a delicate blossom, which will soon be crushed by the court. Now I am not so sure.

My magic winds around her head, seeking a way inside her mind, yet fails. I may be able to force my way in, but it would be poor sport to break Celestia's new favourite so soon. This may be a greater challenge than I assumed.

Her breath heaves with the effort of withstanding my mental onslaught, bringing my attention to the swell of her chest. Aldebaran, I am impressed. I thought you the dullest of my kin, yet you have evidently defied the court and mated with a non-elf.

Easing off the pressure, I beckon her closer. She obeys, but the emotions playing so clearly across her face let me know that she does so at sufferance. After the emotionally repressed elves at court, it is rather refreshing.

I let a tendril of power wrap around her, amused by the trail of goose flesh left behind on her skin and the widening of her eyes. She is clearly an innocent. I am unable to resist playing and direct a tendril under her skirt.

While she is still held enthralled and is unable to physically move, a wave of dark power lashes out at me. Normally I would demand retribution for an act of defiance, but that tantalising promise of pain leaves me feeling more alive than I have in longer than I care to admit. Fascinating. This little flower has thorns. A rose perhaps?

My sister, or more accurately half-sister, Celestia denies her dark heritage and certainly with each son she has borne the bloodline of my forefathers has become weaker and weaker. Nevertheless, I sense that there is a great untapped dark power within this girl.

Releasing my magical hold on her, I stand and tower over her petite form. I place my hands on her shoulders and bend to kiss both cheeks, lingering long enough to make her squirm.

"Elissa, welcome to Alfheimr."

She curtsies again, lowering her eyes. "Thank you, my king."

I like the sound of those words from her mouth. When she rises, she refrains from looking directly at me and my lips curl into a rare smile. My sweet rose, I am not so easy to defeat.

With a wave of my hand, Aldebaran's eyes glaze over, and he becomes like a statue, still kneeling before me. With him indisposed, I place an arm around her shoulder and guide her into my chair, before taking a seat next to her.

"May I offer you refreshments? Anything you desire," I purr.

"Anything?" she clarifies.

"Anything."

"What I would like is coffee, but there is no such drink here, so it would be unfair of me to ask it of you."

"Just let me in and it will be done."

"Let you in?" she queries hesitantly.

I slide closer, angling my legs around her, one knee bent and the other pressed against her thighs.

"Close your eyes and think of your cough-fee."

Taking one of her hands in mine, I place my other hand over her eyes and attempt to enter her mind. It is confoundingly impenetrable.