69 - Flashpoint

(Kai's PoV)

I did not know that the princess could do anything to make me feel any angrier but being smacked in the back of the head by a cold, hard object pitches my mood down a notch further. My body temperature flares and the irritating thing slides down my back before evaporating.

Now to deal with the other irritant. I turn slowly and advance on the girl. The slight smirk quickly fades from her face and she gulps.

Just a reckless child playing in an adult's world. I think a lesson is overdue. I slide off my leather belt and makes a show of testing its strength.

Her eyes widen and she edges towards the other side of the bed. "W-what are you doing?"

"I am going to tie you up. The question is, should I gag you? Because you are going to scream. Now, while this will no doubt add to my 'barbarian' reputation, it would be so satisfying to shut you up."

Kai. Antares gives a warning growl through our mental link. Leave her be.

She is an irritating troublemaker who needs to understand that life is not a game.

You misjudge Elissa. I sense a noble soul.

Your senses are normally impeccable.

They are. I can feel the dragon's displeasure.

Antares and I are a team, and it is rare that we disagree like this. The discord between us, combined with the vulnerability portrayed by the girl, makes me wonder whether I am taking this too far. Obviously I will not hurt her. My aim is just to scare a little sense into her.

Pushing aside my concerns, I lunge, but she is so damned fast that I only manage to grab a fistful of material. She struggles wildly and there is a horrible ripping sound before she springs away, leaving me holding on to the remains of her dress.

Before I know it, she is across the tent and grabbing one of my daggers from the table. Witnessing her take a fighting stance, I do not know whether to laugh at the foolishness in daring to challenge me or to be impressed.

"Do not be a fool. Submit and put the weapon down before you hurt yourself."

Her posture remains steady and she responds defiantly, "I will die fighting before I submit to you."

Stood there in figure-hugging leather, with anger sparkling in her eyes and a flush to her cheeks, she does not look so much like either an ice maiden nor a child. Her spirit is much more like a Dragonite than any elf that I have met.

The image of us entwined in an amorous embrace comes unbidden into my mind. I immediately quash it, but it is too late to stop the flames from writhing beneath my skin begging to burn free or to stop the blood from starting to flow south.

"Do not flatter yourself princess. Why would I want a spoilt child? You do nothing for me." I throw the belt at her feet and turn my back on her, not wanting her to be aware of my lie.

"Spoilt child!" she exclaims angrily.

Anger resurfacing, I turn to face her. "Did you tire of your cosseted life as a princess in Alfheimr? Do you court trouble simply to amuse yourself?"

"How dare you?" She approaches me and the air between us almost crackles with tension. "You know nothing about me."

"Then enlighten me, princess."

"I would hardly call my life cosseted and maybe I do unwittingly attract trouble, for you are not the first to hold me captive nor threaten me with violence."