31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent

(Elissa's PoV)

With it being such a lovely day and Aren off with his mother, I decide to go and explore outside. I grab an apple from the fruit bowl in my room and after only one false turn find myself outside in the sunshine.

It is a perfect autumn day; the trees are all turning gorgeous colours of reds and ambers and the cloudless sky is incredibly blue, almost the same colour as someone's eyes I know. I feel my cheeks heating with a blush, even though I am all on my own.

I wander over to the stables, eager to visit the horses. I am drawn to a pale grey stallion who is stood in a yard, his head held proudly. He eyes me down his long nose and stamps his foot demanding attention. I feed him the apple, which he devours and then nuzzles me affectionately, as I scratch behind his velvety ears.

"Should I be jealous?"

I spin around to find Aren appraising me, a hand on his hip and one eyebrow raised.

My eyes widen in alarm and I ask in a low whisper, "Is he an Animage?"

Aren bursts out laughing. "Your face is a picture. Sorry, beautiful. I am just teasing. It is just a horse."

I go to cuff him, but he captures my wrist and pulls me into his body. I melt into his arms as he kisses me. It is all perfectly dreamy until we are interrupted by a piercing whistle. We jolt apart, and I blush furiously to find Leo and three other young men standing there watching us. I sort of recall seeing them last night but can't remember their names.

"Aren, we wondered if you want to come riding with us," remarks one of the men coolly. He is handsome with perfect skin and dark brown hair, but he has a slightly sullen air to him and I get the impression that he doesn't care for me.

The one with a face full of mischief and a shock of orangey red hair, shamelessly looks me up and down. "Perhaps he has a better offer."

The third man stands there silently, his dark eyes observing. He has a large nose and jet black, almost blue hair.

Aren introduces me to the newcomers; the one I mentally labelled Mr Sullen is called Drake, Mr Mischief is instead Raynard and finally Mr Silent is actually Bram.

Raynard wrinkles a freckled nose. "You can call me Ray."

"Would you like to go riding?" Aren asks and I nod enthusiastically.

Drake sneers. "Can she ride?"

Leo smiles kindly at me. "Elissa, do you have a preference for a mount?"

"How about the grey?" I ask, indicating to my new friend behind me.

"Smoke! He does not like to be ridden," Leo cautions. "He will not take a saddle."

"Perhaps you should select something more docile," Drake suggests condescendingly. I really don't know what his problem is.

I stare Drake straight in the eye, refusing to back down. "Let's see if I can tame him then. If someone can just put a blanket over his back. I just need to pop to my room and won't be long."

Ray sidles over, speaking in a suggestive tone, "If he does not suit you, I would not object to your fine thighs wrapped around my back."

Aren growls and his eyes flash hazel. I am taken to the dream I had this morning when I fainted. He had hazel eyes then.

Ray smirks. "Easy tiger!"

I rush to my room and quickly pull on my leather dragon-riding trousers under the skirts of my dress. When I return, the others are all mounted. Smoke is prancing edgily, being held by a pale looking groom. Holding out my hand to the agitated horse, he huffs but then quietens and allows me to mount him.