66 - Pride and Prejudice

(Kai's PoV)

I am not in the best of moods after several days hard flying. My dislike for elves is known and yet I could not refuse my queen's bidding to travel into the elven kingdom.

Many rave about the beauty of elves. Personally, I cannot see it. The men are far too effeminate and the women, well there is nothing to hold on to. Worst of all their magic is cold, not fire and passion like a Dragonite's.

I find it hard to believe this slip of a girl is really the mysterious elven princess, who has sent all the political cogs whirring. I really have no interest in idle gossip, unless it pertains to Babylon's security.

Normally strangers tremble and cower before me, yet this ice maiden's poise is resolute and her gaze does not falter from mine. Everything about her screams that she is going to be trouble. However, I will take her by force if need be.

"Princess Elissa?" I query.

"I am she .... and you are?" The cool and haughty edge to her voice grates on my nerves.

I can feel Antares's amusement vibrating through our bond and I snap. You were supposed to be intimidating, not let her pet you like some dragonlet.

I like her! the dragon replies, completely unabashed.

Ignoring him, I respond to the girl, "Lord Kai. Queen Seraphina of the Dragonites requests your presence at the Red Palace of Babylon. I have been sent to personally escort you there."

"And if I do not wish to accept her invitation?" she retorts in a falsely sweet voice.

I am not amused. "I do not believe you foolish enough to decline."

My lip curls into a sneer and I look to the heavens where two dark shapes are circling in the sky. I would not have taken a mission to the elven lands without my right-hand men. The twin brothers are fearsome warriors and with our dragons we could take out an army.

"Let us depart, princess." I emphasise the word 'princess' as if it is an insult.

I find elves soulless and emotionless, yet there seems to be a fire brewing in her eyes.

"Lord Kai." She pauses, commanding my attention. "What if I do not wish to submit to you?"

An image of our bodies engulfed in flames inexplicably flashes in my mind and her submitting in an altogether different way. I have no attraction to this irksome female and quickly quash the absurd thought. Antares's laughter echoes in my head.

Cease that noise. Tell Cain and Cade to join me.

I hold out my hand, whilst my voice lowers, somewhere between a threat and a dark promise. "It really would be in your best interest to come without resistance."

The girl's dress and silvery hair billows around her as the dragons land behind her. There are several thuds as my men jump down and together we form a loose but lethal circle around her. There is no escape.

Rather than appearing intimidated, she graciously says, "As the invitation is from your queen, I suppose it would be rude not to accept it. First, I will say farewell to my travelling companion. I would not want some political upset if my family thought that I was not going with you willingly."

She looks expectantly at me. I do not want to give ground to this female, however, her reasoning is sound. Gritting my teeth, I reluctantly move to one side and watch her walk towards the building. There is a low sniggering from behind and I spin around and level my men with a burning stare before marching in pursuit.