38 - The Chase

(Elissa's PoV)

At the insistence of Queen Ulrica, all the younger members of the court have gathered to practice the formal dances for the mid-winter ball being held in Leo's honour. My stomach churns with apprehension and I couldn't eat a thing at breakfast.

Firstly, I have no idea what kind of dances to expect and secondly the only thing like this that I have ever attended was the May Day ball in my first year at Uni. That night holds bitter sweet memories of my first kiss. 

Aren's eyes twinkle as he moves towards me and I can't help thinking that dancing in his arms will make this much less of an ordeal. Unfortunately, one of the instructors steps between us and partners me with Leo instead.

We get in hold and it feels a little odd being in Leo's arms. He is taller and broader than Aren, but has those same sky-blue eyes.

"I am sorry that you have such a poor partner today," I whisper.

Leo bends his head slightly and whispers back, "I cannot concur. I find you the gentlest of ladies."

"You are so kindly sir. I shall have to try not to tread on your toes too hard then," I respond jokingly.

Leo laughs out loud earning him a look from his brother.

Speaking in a hushed tone, I ask something that has been bothering me, "Will I be able to dance at the ball? Someone said that I was too young and would have to sit with the children."

"Would that someone happen to be dancing with my brother?"

We both glance over to Aren who has been partnered with Belinda.

"Fret not. I have no doubt that you will have more partners than you can possibly dance with."

I breathe a sigh of relief and focus on the steps. I am so thankful that we covered the basics of ballroom at school. It would be unthinkable for any of the young ladies to have left my school without the skill in their armoury. I resist the urge to roll my eyes, but it is helping me to pick things up quickly.

The lesson whizzes past and is actually rather fun. It helps that Leo is an excellent lead and takes my mistakes with good humour, even when I do indeed step on his foot.

Aren does not seem to be in a particularly good mood; his brow is furrowed and there is the threat of storm clouds in the blue of his eyes. He shakes off Belinda as soon as the music is over and prowls over to us. There is something animalistic in his carriage, which I must admit I find rather attractive.

"Do you want to go and visit Storm?" he asks as summer returns to his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have practice and then a dress fitting."

Aren pouts. "What are you practising?"

"I can't tell you. It's a secret."

"A secret even from me?"

"My lips are sealed."

Aren moves in close and ghosts his lips across mine. "Is there any way that I can persuade you to open them?"

One of the instructors clears his throat. "Prince Aren, I am sure that you have things to attend to. Everyone else has gone on their way."

.......

Tabbi is standing in her undergarments, with an older woman holding a tape measure against her, when I burst into her room. "Sorry I'm late."

She cocks her head. "Were you in the music room all this time?"