32 - Green does not become you

(Aren's PoV)

I stand there with fists clenched as Leo's words "a good match" echo in my head, causing the eagle to screech and the tiger to growl in objection.

Before I can rush over there to remove Leo's arms from around Elissa, it starts to rain and she runs off with her head down. Silently seething, I stomp into the training building.

Leo enters a little later and nods his head to Gawain. "Apologies for being late."

Gawain nods back. "Now that we are all here, I want you to pair up and continue with sword practice."

He pairs me with Leo, Ray with Drake and then himself with Bram, who is the best swordsman amongst us and more needing of challenge.

I still cannot believe the audacity of Leo and the anger fuels my moves. When a wild swipe narrowly misses cutting his arm, Gawain steps in and pulls me roughly to one side.

"That is enough. Leo, spar with Bram. Aren, I will not tolerate such reckless behaviour from you, young prince. Go outside and cool down."

Standing out in the drizzle does little to abate my ire; it merely lets it fester. My brother is taller, stronger, older, brighter, although not better looking than me. He could have any girl in our kingdom. Why should he try to steal mine?

Leo approaches me and from his clenched jaw it appears that he is angry too. "Aren, what on Elysium is the matter with you?"

"I saw you with Elissa earlier," I spit out. "Do you think her a good match for you?"

Leo sighs. "Brother I am not trying to steal her affections. Did you not see that she was crying?"

I deflate. "She was crying?"

"Elissa is worried that she is not worthy of you. I think one of the ladies was being unkind and I was just trying to comfort her."

"You swear that you do not covet her yourself?"

"Yes, I swear." Leo scrubs his face with his hand. "Aren, you are probably too small to remember that we were to have a sister, but fate deemed her not for this realm. I sometimes wonder what she would be like."

I strain my memory. I cannot remember mother being with child. Guilt eats at me, for if she has already lost one child then my loss must have worsened that wound.

Leo gently nudges my shoulder with his. "Perhaps, if you are not a dullard, I may get a sister one day."

I want to officially court Elissa. I just wish for a little time with her first, to enjoy what we have blossoming before informing my parents. I bet I know exactly which lady was causing her grief and I should have had more faith in my brother.

I rake my hand through my hair. "I am sorry, Leo, when I saw you together, my blood boiled. I did not think straight."

"No indeed! Jealousy does not become you brother." He throws an arm around my shoulder. "Come on. Let us get washed up and go for luncheon."

Belinda and Rosamond are already seated at the table that us younger members of court always use for informal meals. However, there is no sign of Elissa.

"Have you seen Elissa?"

"The last time I saw her she was with Leo." Belinda flutters her eyelashes at me.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I wish she would simply desist. She will never be anything other than my best friend's sister.

As the others join us, I push my plate away. "I have lost my appetite."