4 - Kingdom under the Mountains

The trees thin and finally we break out into full sunlight. I stare with a mixture of awe and trepidation at the wide vista of rocky heathland. Almost straight ahead is a mountain range, with jagged peaks disappearing into the distance.

At the screech of an eagle, wheeling in an almost cloudless sky above, Fluffy leaps between my legs and chitters. I bend down and gently reassure him.

Leaf looks longingly back at the safety of the forest and then up at me, imploring, "Will ye not come back with us?"

Though it is temping, I shake my head. "I'm afraid that this is where we must part company."

The pixie nods in resignation and clambers off his mount. "I have a gift for ye. 'Tis a rope of friendship." He slides a thin ring onto my little finger. "May it aid ye on ye adventures."

Too soon, he remounts and with a final backward glance, the blue creature bounds off back under the cover of the trees. Watching them, I swallow down a lump in my throat, having grown fond of them in our short time together. Once again, I'm utterly alone.

Turning back, I scan the horizon; it is devoid of any signs of civilisation. My mind goes to home, it has been four days now and I need to find a way of getting a message to my friends.

At first the terrain is easy going, but it becomes increasingly uneven. As the sun arcs across the sky, it gets hotter and there is little in the way of shade to protect me from its merciless rays. On and on I trudge and with my water supplies depleted, my head starts to pound.

Just when I am close to collapsing, a faint sound teases my ears. Finding a spurt of energy, I hurry towards it, scrambling over boulders. Relief washes through me at the sight of a small babbling brook and I fall to my knees beside it.

Hands cupped, I scoop up the crystal-clear water, which is the sweetest that I have ever tasted. Although, I guess I'm not an expert having grown up with the chlorinate tang of London's finest. Once sated, I splash the cooling liquid over my heated skin.

Lacing my trainers together, I sling them over my shoulder and follow the course of the river, due North, towards one of the nearest peaks.

.......

After walking for hours, I finally reach the source of the stream, a spring bubbling up from the very base of the mountain. According to the pixie elder's tale, this is where he saw a giant, however, I'm too exhausted to worry about that just now.

A welcome patch of shade beckons. I sink to the ground and rest my back against a smooth expanse of rock, almost falling asleep when a strange sound vibrates through me. The once clear water beside me starts to turn cloudy. Scrambling to my feet, I glance around on the look out for foes.

Come on Elle, don't be a wuss. Think about Kate and the others. I need to find a way home.

Since the noise seems to be coming from within the mountain itself, I grab a large stone and bang it against the rock face, eliciting an echoing booming. Standing completely still and barely daring to breathe, I wait to see if anything will happen.

There is a grinding sound and a section of the mountain slides sideways to reveal a five-foot dark hole. Cautiously I poke my head in and shout out, but am met with silence. I have a choice; either go in, which is really not appealing or go back to the forest, which is equally unattractive.

Taking the plunge, literally, I clamber inside and soon wonder if I have just been incredibly stupid when the rock slides back behind me. It blocks out the light and more importantly my exit. Ahead I can just make out what seems to be a dim light. Scrunching up my body to avoid hitting my head on the low ceiling, I use my hands as guides and slowly inch my way forward.