70 - Reunion

(Elissa's PoV)

I wake feeling exceptionally warm and drowsily wonder if I fell asleep next to a radiator. Blinking, my eyes gradually focus on the image of a large red dragon. It is a magnificent beast, with wings outstretched and a large flaming sword gripped in its talons, and so intricately rendered that each individual scale is visible.

Reaching out a hand, two things stop me from actually touching it. The first is the way that the scales closest to my curious fingers glow as if illuminated by firelight, and the second is that even my sleep-addled brain finally realises that it is painted on a wall of muscle.

Kai! I recoil. Elle, how can you have forgotten that you're sharing a bed with that brooding hulk of a warrior.

Carefully, so as not to rouse the dragon so to speak, I slip out of bed. He may have lost some of his growl, but I still don't trust him. I creep into the bathing area to get ready for the day. I would love to go for a run, but he would probably have an aneurism and instead I dress in my elven exercise clothes.

Walking past the still sleeping warrior, I pull back the heavy canvas door flap and step outside. There is a chill to the air and the sun has not long risen. There are signs of movement in the camp, but for the most part it is peaceful. I work through my normal morning regime. Darish may no longer be with my physically, but he is here in spirit.

Lost in the movement, it takes me a while to notice my senses prickling and I spin around to find Kai staring at me from the tent opening. He is bare-chested and I struggle to find a safe place to look, quickly settling on his face. He looks less foreboding clean-shaven and thankfully the glower is gone, although the intensity of his dark gaze is disconcerting.

"Good morning," I call out a greeting and hurry back to the tent.

"Morning," he responds as I pass him. His gravelly voice vibrates through me and I feel the heat radiating off his body.

I grab my bag and escape to the sanctuary of the bathing area. Once I am dressed for the day, I re-emerge and am relieved to find him properly clothed.

"Would you care to break your fast with me?" Kai asks.

"Yes, thank you. Do you know if there is any fruit?"

"Fruit?" His brow creases. "What is that? Is it a food stuff?"

"It is sweet produce from plants," I explain, trying to keep my voice level and not betray my incredulity.

"You eat plant matter?" Kai's upper lip curls as if tasting something sour. I feel indignation bubbling up inside me but as I open my mouth to respond, he winks and jokes, "Worry not princess, even us barbarians occasionally eat plant matter."

Placing a hand on my back, he guides me outside and through the maze of tents to an open eating area where the remains of a fire are still smouldering. A welcoming array of food is laid out on a long table under a canopy. I help myself to several exotic looking fruits, warm flatbread and some honey before taking a seat.

Above us, a dozen or so dragons are flying acrobatics in the sky, their scales glinting in the morning sun as they whoosh overhead. They are different shades of green, blue and orange. Kai's dragon stands out from the others as it is red and three times the size of the smallest. Mesmerised I watch them, while absentmindedly nibbling at my food.

"Wow!" I breathe, awestruck. "Growing up I always loved dragons. Alas they only existed in fantasy. To see them is such an honour."

"Our kingdoms are adjacent to each other. There are hardly grounds to think them fictitious." Kai seems offended.