Too late

Noah's POV:

"So you're going out with him...again?"

I was watching Maddie get her stuff ready to go back home. "Yup." "And where exactly are you going?" "He hasn't told me but I'm pretty excited" smiled, zipping up her bag.

I looked down at my lap feeling stupid. Maybe if I wouldn't of said what I said she wouldn't be going on a date with Donnie.

"Maddie?" "Yeah?" I was getting ready to ask her if my assumption was true but I didn't want to upset her.

"N-nevermind."

She sighed, knowing I was holding something back. Why can't I say what I need to? It's never been a problem before.

She stood and adjusted her pants, slinging her bag on her shoulder. "Well I guess I'll see you...later" she stammered, scrunching her eyebrows in what seemed to be confusion. I stood from my bed and stepped to her. "Maddie..." She looked up into my eyes with an innocence only she can have.

"I...I messed up okay? I hope you know I didn't mean it and I shouldn't of said it. You just looked...different. Pretty, even. Carter was...talking about you and it made me angry. I'm sorry."

"Noah, you already said sorry."

"I know but I really mean it. You looked" I gulped, "really pretty yesterday."

Her eyes went bright and her cheeks seemed to tinge. "Not that you don't look pretty now o-or any other day" I rushed out. She giggled, holding her hand up for me to stop. "Thank you and...I accept your apology." I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, "Thank god." I wrapped her in my arms and breathed her in. "I don't like it when you're mad at me" I mumbled into her hair. She laughed, clutching onto the back of my shirt. "I can see. I don't like being mad at you either. You just sort of hurt my feelings." "I know and I'm sorry."

She let go of me and looked up at me. She instantly frowned, "Why are you crying?" I brushed my fingers across my cheek, "I didn't know I was." She playfully shook her head and wiped at my cheeks. "Cry baby" she teased.

"I don't know. I think I can make you cry so we're even" I joked. She narrowed her eyes at me but I was thinking something more playful. I put my hands on her sides and dug my fingers repeatedly into them. She yelped and began laughing. "No-noah stop!" she gasped, falling to her knees. I got down with her and kept tickling her. "Please!" "Nope not until you cry!" "I can't cry o-on purpose!"

Only a few seconds passed until she was in tears. I stopped and laughed at her red cheeks. "Stupid prick" she scolded but her faint laughter made her seem less serious. I stood and helped her up. Just then...something hit me.

"You know what we should do?"

"What?"

"We should get tattoos" I suggested. Her eyes widened, "My mom would kill me." "So we get them in places they won't see." "We're not old enough." "I know a guy." "Noah-" "Stop making excuses." "But I'm scared of needles." "Well I'll be holding your hand the entire time" I smiled. She rolled her eyes, "Fine." "Okay, we'll do it after the summer. If there's another pool party they'll see."

"What do you wanna get?" she asked. "We'll think about it later but you have some place to be."

"Oh yeah...Donnie. Why don't you like him?" "He's a stupid prick. You should of heard what he said to me." Her eyebrows furrowed, "What did he say?" "He...the last day of school he said that 'he stole my girl' when you agreed to go on a date with him." 

She stepped closer to me, "Your girl?" she giggled. I tried to take a step back because her proximity was reminding me of my dream, but her night bag was behind me and stopped me.