First Days

Not edited...sorry

Getting ready for your first day of high school is a hard process. 

New people to meet and impress in some way. I picked out what I usually wear, black t shirt and dark wash jeans. Lot's of people judge me based on my dad. It's really annoying so I don't try and attract more attention than needed.

I brush my teeth and rake my hands through my shaggy hair. I leave out of mine and Logan's bathroom and head downstairs. My mom is making something to eat and I'm glad to see her doing something with a smile. Ever since last week and all that happened with my dad, she's been sad. My dad is a fucking asshole and can go choke on a-...Let me stop.

I join Logan at the table. He's shaking while putting his books into his backpack. I raise an eyebrow at him, "Nervous much" I tease.

He narrows his eyes at me, "Shut up."

"Language" my mom sighs while setting plates in front of us. "Thanks" we both mumble and dig into our pancakes.

"Mom, are you taking Logan and I to school?" "Yup, you guys better be ready by eight or you'll be left."

We finished our breakfast and I went upstairs to grab my bag and phone, checking if I had new messages.

Alex: I hope we have class together :-*

I smirked and tucked my phone into my pocket before going downstairs again and meeting my mom by the door. Logan joined us and my eyes widened at what he was wearing.

"What the hell are you wearing?" I laughed.

My mom scowled and smacked me upside the head. "What?! His button up is tucked in Ma."

"Leave me alone Noah!" Oh Jeesh, he only called me Noah when he was mad. I held up my hands in surrender. "If tucked in shirts, rolled skinnies, high socks and converse are your thing then that's your choice."

I turned and left the house, hearing my mom say "You look fine honey, we both know he's an idiot."

Our car ride was spent listening to my mom telling us rules. We both had phones and were responsible enough to call in a bad situation. 

"We're here Logan" she announced as she parked the car in front of the school. "Do you need me to walk you in or even get you to your cla-" "No! I'm sure I can find my way but uh...thanks for the offer" he rushed as he opened the door and slammed it closed before running off into the building.

"You're so embarrassing" I laughed. "Hey, I'm cool." "No one says cool anymore."

"Whatever."

We drove another five minutes, getting to my new school...high school. To say I wasn't  a little nervous was a lie. Of course I was. Some of the same people from middle school would be here but most of them are from the neighborhood middle school where I didn't go.

"You ready?" my mom asked. I nodded and went to open the door but my mom laid her hand on my shoulder and when I looked over at her she had a worried expression in her face. 

"Highschool is pretty tough and I don't just mean learning but socially too, I want you to be careful okay?"

"Mom, I'm sure I'll be okay."

She let go of my shoulder and rest her forearm on the middle consul so she was turned toward me. "Look, I'm not trying to scare you but there will be people who will judge you" she sighed, bringing her hand up to grasp my chin, "especially by your last name."

I moved my face from her grasp while rolling my eyes, "I wish I didn't."

"Don't say that" she snapped. "If you weren't the way you were...I don't know, you wouldn't be my little Jamie." "You know I don't like that freakin' nickname."