Battle Scars

Not caring what I wore to school the next day I just threw on something and left downstairs. 

My mom was once again making us breakfast and we all sat down when her phone rang. She left the room but I instantly know who it was when she answered. 

"What?" she snapped. 

Dad.

"I don't want to talk right now."..."What do you mean?"..."No."..."Yeah I said no."..."Why not? How about because I haven't seen you in a week and now you want to ask if you can visit my kids?"..."Yes MY kids!"..."I don't care!"

I noticed her pacing and trying to calm herself down. "Listen, you made your choice and now you're going to live with it. You can come...I don't know, next weekend. But know that this is just for Jamie and Logan, not for me. I couldn't care less about seeing you."

All three of us knew that was a lie.

"Alright, bye."

She came back into the kitchen and sat back down in her seat with a sigh. Logan got up to grab an icepack out of the freezer and pressed it to his eye. 

I can't wait to get my hands on Donnie. He threatened my little brother last year and since he's not there he gets his little brother to do it? Ugh!

"Mom" I say in a soft voice, not trying to annoy her. "Yeah?"

"You should stay here and go back to sleep, Logan and I can walk to school."

"That's a fifteen minute walk, no." "No it's fine, you're always saying we need to get out of the house anyway" I lightly joke. Her small smile gives me hope. 

"You sure?"

"Yeah." 

"Logan, go upstairs and get your backpack" my mom said. He nodded and left.

She turned to me and her face went stern. "I don't want you getting into any fights with this Donnie kid okay?" I crossed my arm and raised an eyebrow. "So it's okay that his little brother beat Logan?"

"I mean it Noah."

"I make no promises" I said and stood from the table, putting my plate into the sink. 

"I'm serious!"

Logan soon meets me by the door with his stuff and we leave. 

Logan has always been quiet and sometimes I feel bad for him. He never talks about having friends and on his first day of middle school he got into a fight. 

"Logan."

"Yeah?"

"If you ever want to, I don't know, talk or something you can talk to me."

"I know."

"I know it's been...hard without dad around-"

"I don't want to talk about dad alright?" he snaps. "Okay."

We were quiet the rest of the walk to his school. "Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself Logan."

He sighed with a defeated look that made me sorry that he had to go through this. "Later Mamie."

*** 

As soon as I got to school I went straight to world history. I know that if I see Donnie that I'm going to loose it. Marley walks in a few minutes later and I'm glad that she takes my mind off of my raging thoughts. 

Mr.T gave us an assignment where we had to write about our families and the furthest pice of ancestry when can go. I did all I could before turning it in and ten minutes later got a ninety-four.