Chapter Eight

"Come on guys there's still hope." I tried to cheer them up.

Bonnie looked beyond devastated. She turned to Damon, "Give me your ring."

I looked at her confused before glancing over at Damon to see his reaction.

"What?"

"Give me your ring." She repeated and grabbed his hand, trying to take it off but he fought against her.

"Hey, Hey guys! Chill!" I stood between the two.

"All I've heard you say is you have no hope. And that this your hell, so if it's so bad why don't you just end it!" She yelled at him. "Hope is the only thing keeping me going, Damon. So if you're really done, if you have none, then be done. Because this isn't helping." She pushed his shoulder and stormed away.

I turned to him with a look. "Great going genius." I huffed and crossed my arms. "Now what?"

"I need a drink." He groaned before walking into the store.

I rolled my eyes leaning against the truck and waited for him outside.

I wondered where Kai was right now. What he was doing. I kinda missed him, his sarcastic remarks. His irresistible smirks and winks that made me go crazy.

He made me go crazy. He was almost like Poison. Slowly killing me from the inside and out but I didn't mind it. Even if he didn't feel the same way, just being around him made me happy.

I sound like a twelve year old girl in love. Gross.

God, What was taking Damon so long?

I heard Bonnie's boots against the pavement. I turned around as she walked towards me.

She stopped when she realized it was just me.  "Where's Damon?"

"Inside the store, getting bourbon." I answered nonchalantly, messing with my nails. I noticed her concerned look.

"What?"

"Nayeli, how long has he been in there?" She questioned with her eyebrows furrowed.

She didn't even wait for my answer before walking up to the store. I rolled my eyes and followed her. "Bonnie, wait up!"

We walked into the store and searched for him, "Damon?" I called out.

"Do you hear anything?" She looked over at me.

I tucked my hair behind my ear and listened closely.

"Now I'm a little unfamiliar with vampires but.. from what I've gathered a stake to the heart should do it. Right?" I heard the familiar voice of Kai.

I mentally rolled my eyes before waving my hand to Bonnie, indicating she should follow me. "This way."

We hurried over to the aisle to be greeted by Kai standing over Damon with a half broken umbrella, ready to stab him.

"Stay away from him." Bonnie said, getting his attention.

He looked up and chuckled at us. "Look, Damon. Your friends came to save you. The Original and the useless one. Thank God. You suck at magic.." He pointed at me. "And you can't perform magic. What are you two gonna do, fail at me? It's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you."

I had to do something. I couldn't let him hurt Damon but is it worth hurting Kai?

"Sorry Kai." I mumbled quietly under my breath. "Motis!" I said out loud as the other half of the umbrella went straight into Kai's stomach.

He yelled out in pain and dropped his weapon.

Bonnie looked over at the candle in the corner. She focused on It for a while before it finally lit up.

I broke out into a smile of relief, and pride.

Damon grinned proudly at the both of us.

Kai pulled the umbrella half out before mumbling. "Uh oh."

"Run." Bonnie smiled at Damon. He quickly sped out of the way before Bonnie chanted.

"Phesmatos Incendia." She smirked when a circle of fire erupted around Kai.

"Okay." Kai held up his hands in defense. "Okay. Okay."

"Giving up so soon?" I tilted my head. "I'm embarrassed for you."

Damon hit the side of Kai's head, sending him flying.

"I'm sorry for calling you the most annoying person in the world." He apologized. "I hadn't met him yet."

"Now's not the time for sincere apologies. Who the hell was that guy?" I played dumb, having to remember Damon and Bonnie don't know me and Kai have met before.

"I could ask you the same thing." Damon retorted.

"I've never seen him before in all the three years I've been here." I lied.

...

Kai groaned as he finally woke up.

Damon and Bonnie were in the other room so it was just me and Kai.

"Look who's finally up." I teased.

He looked around, searching for the two.

"They're in the other room and don't worry. I did a spell so neither of them can hear us." I reassured him.

He looked down and realized he was tied down to the chair. "I didn't know you were into this kind of stuff, Eli." He winked.

I rolled my eyes. "Damon told me to tie you up, idiot."

"Thanks for ruining my shirt by the way." He huffed, referring to the bloody hole in the middle of his shirt.

"Yea sorry about that but, I have to gain their trust someway right?" I shrugged.

Damon and Bonnie walked in the room. Damon grinned when he saw Kai. "You're awake. Good." He was holding a bag of pork rinds in one hand, a poker in the other. "Now for the Q and A portion of the evening."

"Let me guess. I answer right, I get a pork rind. Wrong, I get a poker." Kai responded to him.

"What? No, no, no. These are for Nayeli." He handed me the bag, and I smiled in return. "You just get the poker."

"Yea, you don't have to do that."

"No?" Damon raised an eyebrow.

"We're on the same team." Kai chuckled.

"Really?" Bonnie spoke up from behind me. "Do you always try and kill your teammates?" She stood up and walked towards him with her arms crossed.

"The important thing is you have your magic back. It worked."

Bonnie, Damon, and I all exchanged confused glances.

"What you--? You didn't really think I'd kill Damon did you?" He laughed. "Heh. In what universe does that make sense? I wouldn't kill one-fourth of our population. I'm not a monster. I knew Bonnie would show up, Eli too. And I knew with the right motivation she'd be able to access her magic and Nayeli would harness her magic as well."

"So you did all that just to make sure Bonnie had her magic and that I was strong enough?"

"Don't be offended, beautiful. Of course I think you're strong. You're an original. I just doubted your magic but now that I know it's not completely useless, my doubts are long gone. Because you and Bonnie's magic is the key to getting the hell out of here."