Chapter Fifteen

"Come on, Nayeli." Damon begged over the phone. "We need you here. How many people can say they have an Original on their side?" He joked.

I struggled to open the door, whilst balancing papers and binders and continuing my conversation with Damon at the same time. "Flattering, but I still need to find some witches who are willing to bend the rules to help me get Kai out of the prison world." I explained, groaning when I dropped all my stuff as soon as I stepped into the dorm.

"And it's bad enough I actually have to attend school here with a bunch of losers when I'm well over a thousand years old." I sighed, deciding not to do anything about the mess on the floor.

"And still looking better than ever." A familiar voice remarked making me widen my eyes. I looked up from the floor and hung up the phone with Damon. "Kai." My voice cracked before I ran over to him and hugged him.

"Getting handsy there, gorgeous." He commented but nonetheless hugged me back. "Miss me?"

I nodded rapidly as he released me. "Yes, god, I missed you."

"Hm. I would miss me too." He winked before walking around the dorm, messing with picture frames.

"You're just as humble as I remember." I spoke sarcastically before walking over to Caroline's bed and sitting on it.

"You ever worn skinny jeans?" Kai mumbled as he went through the mni fridge pulling a face of disgust when he saw all the blood bags. "It seems wrong. I'm all bunched up." He closed the fridge before turning to me. "What'd I miss?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "Elena erased all the good things about Damon from her mind, stupid hospital fundraiser, I broke a guy's hand, dinner date from hell and your siblings managed to find their way back to each other."

He walked over with a chuckle, "Looks like I've got some things to catch up on."

"Well I'd love to help but it could be any minute a member of the Scooby Gang calls for help." I stood up and walked towards the door.

"Aw, poor Nayeli. Must be so hard being a vamp-witch." Kai frowned with fake remorse in his voice before putting a grin back on. "Change of plans, you're coming with me."

...

"Hey, Liv." I smiled at the curly blonde behind the bar counter. She leaned on the counter with a very faint smile.

"Nayeli, right? You were at the Thanksgiving dinner."

I nodded, "Indeed." I smiled to myself when Kai took a seat next to me, sighing.

Liv turned to him, her smile fading. Did she recognize him? "How can I help you?" I guess not.

Kai only smirked at her before finally speaking, "One Zima, please."

She rose an eyebrow and scoffed. "Hilarious. " She commented and waited for his real order but Kai just stared at her making me roll my eyes.

Liv looked at him, annoyed and impatient. "Are you going to order something or just gonna stare?"

Kai took a deep breath, "Okay. How about a soda? Liv." He read her name tag out loud.

She just looekd at him skeptically before going to get what he asked for.

"Are you on Twitter?" Kai turned to me and I just rose an eyebrow and laughed shaking my head. "I just signed up, you should follow me. CobraKai1972. You know, like Karate Kid? Did you know you can follow celebrities?"

"Yes, Kai. I know that you can follow celebrities." I laughed.

"They all Twitter the stupidest things. It's hilarious." He smiled widely at his phone, so astonished by the internet.

Liv walked back up to us after cleaning the place. "It's kind of dead, I think I'm gonna close up."

Kai stopped her, "Oh, hang on, hang on." He put his phone down and sat up, "I'm gonna get a real drink."

"No bourbon, I'm secure enough in my masculinity. Vodka's boring. Rum's too tropical. Ooh, tequila. You do not wanna see me on tequila." He waved off the thought of the drinks wihtout a second thought. "What about gin? Is that weird?"

"Not if you're a 50-year-old." Liv gave a fake smile. "But seeing as you look 19 I'm gonna need to see some ID."

Kai handed her what she had asked for and she examined it, laughing. "1972. Nice try."

"True story. But that's not the only interesting thing on the ID. Here, look again." Kai grinned and I sighed knowing things were about to get messy.

 I ignored most of what was going on. Kai's witty remarks, Liv stabbing him in the arm. This was all pretty normal considering how I grew up.

Liv began to run to the doors when I chuckled. "The runners always were the most fun. Vis Porta." I chanted easily, making all the doors lock shut.

Liv panicked as she panted heavily. "You're on his side?"

I stood up, rolling my eyes. "I'm not on anybody's side. Kind of. My side's just really freaking complicated." I shrugged with a grin.

She ran up the stairs and Kai was quick to follow, walking towards her menancingly before he was pushed off the balcony by Tyler.

I was quick to act with a spell, "O se kwe pe se" I held out my hands and focused on Tyler's presence.

He fell to his knees, grasping at his neck as he struggled for air. I chuckled darkly and pretended to frown. "Aw, don't worry wolfie. You're not actually dying. You just think you are." I smirked and noticed Liv do a hand gesture before I felt a pain in my neck.

...

I groaned as I regained consciousness, grabbing my neck from the aching pain. I sat up as a leaf fell out of my hair. I furrowed my eyebrows before looking around me and noticing I was in the woods.

I heard distant grunting and yelling. I got up and walked over to see where it as coming from only to be greeted by Damon, Elena, and Kai. Fighting.

"Nayeli, do something!" Elena yelled as she scrambeled to pick up the pieces of the broken ascendant.

I walked over to her and bent down, taking the last piece. "I'm sorry Elena. I'm just protecting the people I care about, I'm sure you understand." I flicked the last piece into her hand before chanting, "Phesmatos Incendia." I watched with a frown as Elena's whole arm began to catch fire.

"Nayeli, what the hell are you doing?" Damon yelled at me before speeding towards me.

"I'm sorry." I apologized one last time. "Invesique."

He couldn't see me, but I could see him. He grew frustrated but picked up a large stick and swung where I was once present, making the spell wear off and I flew back from the impact, crossing the border.

I yelled in pain as a bloody hole formed in my shirt. It felt like I was getting stabbed over and over again by the white oak steak. I fell to the floor, seconds away from my death.

Kai reacted quickly and swapped our places with magic. I panted heavily, relieved that the pain had stopped.

"I guess this is the anti-magic border thing, huh?" He grinned evily. "That means there's a psychopath loose in Mystic Falls and no vampires around to stop him. Whoops." He chuckled darkly before turning on his heels and walking off.

"You're on that jackasses side now?" Damon yelled, very, very madly.

"I'm not on anybody's side, Damon. And I'm sorry, Elena, I don't want to hurt anybody-"

"So why the hell did you?" She snapped, cutting off my sentence.

"I did it because I didn't want you hurting Kai! And I didn't want Kai to think that he had no one, Elena!" I stood up, angrily. "He spent 18 years in isolation as the family reject! And I couldn't be there for him but now I am! And I'm sure as hell not just gonna sit by and watch it happen. He was punished simply for being born a siphoner but I want him to know that I'm here for him. That he's not alone anymore. So kill me for caring about someone." My voice cracked and I shook my head before walking away.