Chapter Twenty-Nine

I sat on the bed of Kai's old messy apartment he got for the two of us, holding his pillow close to my body as if it were like he was there with me. I'm not one to sit and dwell on the past, however, Kai was different. He had made a mark on my life that will never go away.

I couldn't quite get a certain memory out my head.

"Okay." I whispered, "I'll turn you." I finally gave in to Kai's request after I laid there with him, debating. 

His eyes lit up but I spoke first, "But when I choose to." I spoke sternly as if I were a mother scolding her child.

He rolled his eyes but smiled anyway, "Fine." He agreed before leaning over and placing a kiss on my lips. "I can't wait to paint the town red with you, Eli." He mumbled on my lips as I smiled pleasantly before looking away and sighing,

"Kai, I'm the only one of my kind. As soon as I make you what I am, yes you'll be powerful but you'll also have a red target on your chest."  I bit my lip nervously, trying to warn him the cost of being a hybrid. I looked back up at him, waiting for a response. Hoping he knew what it was he was asking for.

He was playing with my fingers mindlessly before lacing his hand with mine and looking into my eyes, "The grass is always greener, right?"

I took a deep breath, shaking off the memory. I know Kai wouldn't want me to sit here and sulk over him. 

That's the opposite of what he would want. But now that Damon and his mother had convinced Stefan to flip the switch, my fun was over. Although I knew there was one good old fashioned activity I could do.

...

"You know, it seems lonely working in this tiny little bar." I chatted up the bartender, waving around my shot. I giggled as it spilled out of the glass. "Oops." I snorted.

"What's your story, darling?" I could practically hear the smirk in the thick accent that spoke from beside me.

I raised an eyebrow and looked over to my left just as a man with jet black hair and a leather jacket took the seat besides me. "Is that really your opening line?" I chuckled shortly before taking the shot. I ordered another, not even paying attention to the man next to me.

"What, did your little frenzy with Stefan and Caroline backfire?" He laughed and I paused for a moment before setting down my drink and facing him. "I don't believe we've met. Enzo." He spoke confidently while he held out his hand to introduce himself.

"Nayeli-" I began but refused to shake his hand.

"-Mikaelson. Yes, how could I not have realized?" He squinted his eyes at me as if he were studying me. "The original. The only vampire-witch hybrid there is. Tell me, love, are the stories true? Are you really as ruthless and powerful as they say you are, hm?"

"If you don't skip to the point of all this, you're about to find out." I remarked with a roll of my eyes as I took another shot.

He rose his hands in defense before chuckling, "I didn't mean to be pushy." He continued and I finished my last shot before turning to him, "I was just wondering what a beautiful girl like you was doing at a bar like this." He smirked once again as he looked over at me.

I shook my head as I laughed before getting up from my seat, "Goodbye, Enzo."

As soon as I left the bar I got a text from Damon. I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes before opening it. 

Damon Salvatore: We need to talk.

...

"You are aware that you can't just summon me whenever you please, correct?" I crossed my arms as I stood before Damon in the living room of the Salvatore house. "And what makes you so sure that I won't kill you, right here. Right now?"

"Because, Nayeli, you had that opportunity yesterday. You could've killed me, but you didn't. Did you?" He rose his eyebrow and I rolled my eyes before pouring myself a glass of bourbon and sitting on the couch.

"I was feeling gracious." I shrugged before taking a sip. "Why am I here, Damon?"

"I was just informed with some news I thought was vile for you to know." He swallowed and poured himself a glass as well.

"Well, don't talk so fast." I said sarcastically, remarking on the fact that this so called vile news was taking so long to be delivered.

"Before the 1900's my mother fell in with a group of witches that were cast out of the Gemini coven. They were known as heretics." He informed me as he downed his drink quickly before setting the glass down.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Am I supposed to know what the bloody hell that is?"

"Siphoners. Like Kai." I flinched when he said his name. I played it off as he continued to speak, "But not just that. Lily turned them. Resulting in creatures that are both witch and vampire. Like you."

I shook my head, confused as hell, "That's impossible. I'm the only vampire-witch hybrid. They can't exist unless I create them."

"Not exactly." Damon corrected and went on, "These are witches that have magic only when they siphon power from another source. That's what makes them different from you, Nayeli. You have your own magic like any other witch, you don't have to channel it from anybody."

I stood up quickly and walked away, pacing the room and biting my lip not being able to process that somewhere out there were carbon copies of me. I paused my movements and looked up at Damon, "Wait, as vampires they have a constant source. They can siphon off of themselves."

"They were on their way to destroy the Gemini, but the coven got to them first. Put them into exile. Heretics are ruthless. They can never be allowed to escape." He informed me as if I could do something and take immediate action.

"Imagine Kai with the bloodlust of a vampire." He put the situation into perspective making me swallow because I had promised Kai I would change him. "Now imagine six of them."

I felt chills run down my spine. Sure I loved Kai but he was one of the most dangerous people I've ever met. If these heretics were as dangerous as Damon says they are, I could never turn Kai.

"Help me get the ascendant, Nayeli. Help me make sure these creatures never escape."