Chapter Six

"Deborah, here's the final draft of all the photographed items and their descriptions that I want sent to the graphic designers." With a professional smile, I give my attentive assistant the file that has kept me incredibly busy these past few weeks. With the help of Deborah, I have been collating a small but impressive collection of Roman artefacts that will be used for future school tours. I want the children to enjoy the rare and exciting experience of handling glass and metal artefacts from that historical time, which will also encourage an interest in not only the artefacts themselves but also the social history of Bath. In order to nationally promote this to all schools, I have to produce a snazzy brochure with photographs of the artefacts that the children get to see and touch, as well as an informative and educational invitation that will entice the teachers. Angela is keen for the graphic designers to work their magic before the brochure is sent to the printers. The sooner we have the brochures, the sooner they can be distributed.

"I'm on it!" Deborah brightly replies, opening the folder and scanning it with her impressed eyes. "You've done a great job with the photographs." She nods approvingly. "And as always, your descriptions are fab." Her brown eyes look up at me, her smile broadening across her cute elfin-like face.

I really like Deborah. She has a subtle confidence about her, that I can totally relate to. At twenty three years old, and only being my assistant for six months now, she previously used to work as a medical receptionist. On weekends, she used to volunteer here at the museum. We always got on. So when a position came up as my assistant, I told her to forward a covering letter along with her CV.

At her interview, she sweetly showed up all nervous even though she already knew me quite well. She would keep flattening the fringe of her razor cut short dark hair, an obvious reaction to those pesky nerves. As it was, she totally impressed me with her local historical knowledge, which was all self taught through her avid reading of books. With her voluntary experience, genuine enthusiasm and her calm demeanour; I knew that I wanted to give her a chance. And I'm so glad I did. "Hey, you did a lot of the textual leg work, too!" I grin, wanting to praise her for all of her input as well.

In typical Deborah fashion, she sceptically smiles with an embarrassed eye roll. "It's my job." She does this awkward little hand flap, promptly dismissing my well deserved praise.

I playfully point at her, using my index finger. "You know I'm right." I tease, tilting my head and looking at her with narrowed eyes that warn her not to even dare to argue back.

With a small, resigned shrug; she answers with a gracious nod. "Thank you so much."

With my satisfied smile just starting to fall away from my mouth, Angela pops her head around the heavy wood door to my office, the deep creaking of it always alerts me to when someone has just opened it. "Angel, can I have a word?" Her pale face looks on at me from across the long room, wearing tightened anxiety.

I warmly place my hand on Deborah's shoulder as I leave to meet Angela at the door. When I get closer, she says nothing but walks with hurried steps towards her own office. My thoughts are desperately trying to recall whether I've recently done anything to upset Angela, because she seems really on edge with me. I apologised weeks ago about involving her in the whole Rex thing, but I honestly thought that we were okay since then. With confusion, I tentatively step inside of her office; studying her facial expressions as she closes the door behind me.

She doesn't sit down, so I don't either. Instead, we both remain stood by her closed office door. With an anxious, darted gaze; Angela seriously addresses me. "I have some bad news, Angel."

Oh God, she's going to fire me! That's what my mind presumptuously tells me, so I start rambling with nervous apologies and excuses. "I know I've not been completely focused on my work at the moment, but I'll do my absolute damnedest to get back to how I used to professionally be." I quickly blurt, almost pleading.