Chapter Sixteen

"Thank you, Elizabeth. We've had such a lovely evening." And I truly had. Rex's mother is nothing but warm, kind and genuine.

"My pleasure, Angel." Sweetly embracing me to say goodbye on the doorstep of her beautiful Victorian house, she pulls back with her light green eyes reflecting such happiness. Then she hugs Rex, wholeheartedly tight. "Congratulations, darling...for everything." Her maternal praise is infused with pride and joy as she strokes her precious son with affection and a beaming smile. "You must both come again, and very soon."

Rex drapes his arm around my shoulder, looking just as happy as his mum. "We will, I promise." Then he pulls me in against him, just because he so wonderfully can.

From behind us, comes a loud and spiteful voice. "Well, well, well...isn't this a touching reunion?" At the sight of Rex's father, I feel nauseous and threatened. He's coming up the long path with dark determination and a set jaw; like he's ready for all-out war.

Why is he here?

How did he know we would be here?

My panicked thoughts silently splinter the membranes of my mind.

Rex angrily lets go of me, standing intimidatingly straight as his father comes closer. "Why are you here?" He growls, holding such strong eye contact with the man he has grown to despise.

His father insidiously smiles, seemingly unaffected by Rex's threatening stance towards him. "I am here because I'm trying to stop you from making the biggest mistake of your life, Son."

"Don't call me that, you lost that right a long time ago." Rex warns him through clenched teeth.

Elizabeth is quick to ask why he is here as well, she too, isn't pleased to see him standing outside the house they once unhappily shared together. "You're not welcome here, Jonathan. Please leave." She bluntly says, staring at him from her doorstep with disgust wrinkling up her nose.

Stubbornly shaking his head, he replies with a steady and lower-pitched voice. "I'm not going anywhere until I have said all that I've got to say." He then takes yet another determined step forward, his alert gaze fully on his former wife. "I'm guessing he hasn't told you all about his little fiancée, then?" He presses his lips together, firmly shifting his strong gaze onto Rex.

"Don't you say another word." Rex quietly warns his fearless father once again, exuding such obvious disdain for him.

Jonathan Ford isn't about to shut up and isn't going anywhere. He is conditioning himself for what is about to come. "I really thought better of you, Elizabeth. I thought you would be able to sniff out a whore from a mile away." He stares back at her, so very pleased with himself. But his victorious expression is promptly brought down by Rex, who hits his father with his aggressive fist.

"Don't you talk about her that way!" Rex stands at the feet of his groaning father, who now lies on the ground in a contorted heap.

Why is this happening?

Why now?

Overpowered by blind panic, I run to Rex's side. I say nothing, I just need him to know that I am there. Slipping my arm through his, I gently pull him away from Jonathan Ford, scared that he will hit him again. I know Rex is only defending me, but I would rather he did so without the use of his aggravated fists.

Elizabeth looks on, shocked and a little dazed. "What does your father mean, Rex?" Her worried hand now rests upon her breastbone. "What does he mean when he says I would be able to sniff out a whore?" Her soft voice is shaky and hesitant.