Chapter Ten

My day at work was upbeat and content. Happiness seemed to follow me everywhere that I went and my working day was a smooth and productive one, but I couldn't wait for it to end. Rex told me he would call and it's that very call that has made me impatient for the day to come to an end. Maybe my impatience could have held out a little longer if Angela had been in today. I am dying to see her, so I can tell her all about Rex and I, but she had to attend an important meeting with other museum curators from up and down the country. Alas, my wonderful news will simply have to wait until tomorrow now.

My job usually keeps me challenged and focused, but today, I was just too preoccupied to be the ambitiously proactive Angel that I usually am. My thoughts were just too wrapped up in last night and this morning. I kept replaying every single word, look and touch that were exchanged between Rex and I. Trying to let what happened, kind of wonderfully sink in. If I'm honest, I am still getting my head around the fact that Rex still loves me and still wants to be with me. After every awful thing that has happened, every awful memory that we share; we are finally trying to make a go of things. I feel like someone has placed my entire future in my hands, and I'm unsure of what I am to do with it. I guess the only thing that I can do, is enjoy every sacred moment. Which is why I have been so very keen to get home and receive that call from him, just so I can hear the heartwarming sound of Rex's voice again. When I am finally home, I am restless. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. He promised he would call. Every time my phone rings, I eagerly answer it and every damn time it hasn't been him. Disappointedly, those calls have only been a courtesy call from my dentist regarding my six monthly check up and one of those stupid cold callers, asking me about stupid PPI. Feeling overwhelmingly anxious with butterflies wildly fluttering around in my stomach, I try to eat something. Although the new potatoes and salmon salad does look appetising; I can't seem to eat a thing. I am coiled up inside with tense excitement. Nervously, I flit between looking at the clock, staring at my phone and listening out for every single car that I hear outside. Turning on my docking station, I am hoping that a little music might help me to relax. Browsing through my eclectic mix of artists, I decide on the timelessly rich vocals of Adele. If anyone can calm me down, it will be her beautiful and characteristically emotional voice. Her dulcet warm tones caress my ear drums and her lyrics seep deep into my fretting thoughts. Adele has this special gift for making every single word that she so wonderfully sings, reach right inside of you and somehow make you think that she's singing her emotive song only for you. Hello truly touches me. The soulful lyrics grab onto my emotions and nestle into some lonely place within me. I need to hear Rex's voice. I really need to hear it now. Glancing at the clock for like the hundredth time, I wonder whether he has finished work? My impatience quickly overpowers me. To hell with it, I am going to text him. I have refrained from doing so all day long, but can refrain no longer. With animated fingers, I tap in a brief but loving message.

I'm just wanting you to know that I'm missing everything about you. I'm home now...I can't wait to hear your voice.

Love from your Angel xxxxxx

With a small sense of satisfaction, I once again, try to eat a little something of my dinner. With a whimsical smile, I slowly put a mouthful of salmon into my mouth and chew with my smile spreading more across my face as I think of Rex's reaction when he reads my text. I don't think I have ever been more happy. No, I'll correct myself there. I know I have never been more happy. It's true what they say, the truth really can free you. Now that Rex knows everything about his father, we now have a real chance of happiness together. The weight of what happened has been lifted, and with that, comes a welcomed lightness to my life. I love Rex so much. I always knew he was the only man that I could ever truly love, and now, I am at last able to love him in the way that he has always deserved to be loved. My eyes narrow on my damn clock again. Thank God, Faith should be home by now. Unable to contain myself a moment longer, I decide to call her.

The phone rings and rings, and I find myself sighing with annoyance because I think that my dear sister has decided to go elsewhere after work. Just as I'm about to hang up, she picks up; panting and out of breath. "Hello?" Her breaths come fast and short down the line.

"Hey, it's me." I cheerily chime.

Trying to control her heaving breaths, Faith's reply is raspy and heavy. "Hey sis, I was just on my treadmill...just done an uphill one mile sprint!" She proudly gasps.

I smile to myself, even after a long and busy day, Faith still loves to do thirty minutes on her treadmill. She has the balance and coordination to use the damn things. I, on the other hand, get dizzy and lose my footing which ends up with me looking like I am part of some disastrous comedy sketch. "Good for you." I praise my determined little sister, equally as determined to tell her all about Rex.

"Are we still meeting up this Saturday?" She asks, her breaths beginning to sound much more controlled now.

My smile returns, knowing that it's time to share my exciting news. "I may need to let you down this weekend, Faith." My apologetic tone is quickly followed with a buzz rushing through my veins. "I will probably be with Rex." I excitedly add.

"You mean Rex, Rex?" Faith cautiously asks.

With an effervescent feeling inside of me, I enthusiastically reply. "Yes...Rex, Rex!" My exuding energy forces my feet to bounce where I sit.

"Are you seeing each other now?"

Eager to answer my slightly wary sister, my reply falls from out of my mouth with a girlish giggle. "I think so, Faith. He showed up last night. He says he still loves me and wants us to be together."

My zeal is infectious, Faith is soon sounding just as excited as me. "Oh, Angel...that's really great news!" She takes a brief moment to think, then cheerfully continues. "I'm so happy for you, sis. You deserve every bit of your happiness. I really hope that everything works out for you both."

"Thank you! God, I'm so happy right now, Faith. Not in a million years did I ever think that we would get back together. There's no long term plan at the moment, because I'm still trying to get my head around the short term one. All I know is that I love him and I want to make him happy."

"Wow! You have the love bug real bad, don't you?" Faith teases, but I know that she's smiling right along with me—I can hear it in her gladdened voice.

Absently picking at the bits of fluff that are stuck to my black pencil skirt, I smile. "I've been given another chance, Faith. I intend to take that chance with everything that I have inside of me. I owe Rex that."

My ears are met with firstly an agreeable croon from Faith before she says what is really on her caring mind. "Whatever has happened between the two of you, it now needs to be left behind, Angel. If you both want a future, you can only look forward."

Smoothing my hands down over my now, fluff-free skirt, I agree. "I know."

"Soooo, I'm guessing the two of you have some serious catching up to do, right?" Faith's question has enough sexual innuendo to sink a ship. Her crudeness sits heavy on the line between us.

Coyly, I hesitate to answer. "Maybe." Now, I'm actually blushing. Thoughts of Rex making love to me again, only fuel the flames of passion that burn so hot inside of me.

"And from that very shy reply, I'm thinking that you made a bit of a start on that catching up last night." Faith continues to crudely goad me and although I am blushing like a lovesick fool, I'm enjoying the effervescent feeling.

"Maybe." I repeat, smirking now.

"It all becomes so very crystal clear now, Angel. I am being left dateless on Saturday because you have a vast array of sexual positions pencilled into your weekend agenda." Faith filthily chuckles.

Smiling to myself, I am all too quick to reply. "Goodbye, Faith. I love you!" Then I hang up, laughing as I do.

Checking my mobile phone to see whether Rex has replied, I am nothing but disappointed to find that he hasn't. With a long, drawn out sigh, I decide to have a nice candlelit bath with a little more of Adele for company.