Chapter Fifteen

"You're going to bite that nail right down to the cuticle." Rex  chuckles, wrapping his one arm tightly around my waist to bring me even closer to his side.

"I can't help it." I anxiously whisper, pulling my index finger from in between my gnawing teeth. "What if your mum secretly still hates me?"

Giving me a warm smile, Rex blinks back at me. "You have nothing to worry about, Angel...my mother doesn't hate you."

Adjusting my clothing with nerves, I quickly glance down at myself. I think I look okay in my jeans and my baby blue off-the-shoulder slouch jumper. I think even Elizabeth Ford might approve of my not-trying-too-hard attire. I know that Rex loves my jumper, he says it gives him very easy access to kiss my exposed shoulders whenever he wants to. And it's because of the very wonderful Rex, that me and my lovely jumper are actually here. When he told his mum that we are getting married, she demanded that we came for dinner one evening. Now that I am here, I honestly don't think I will be able to eat a single morsel. The last time I was stood here, waiting for the front door to be opened, when it finally did open, my world literally shattered all around me within seconds. Being here again, brings back all of those horrible memories and feelings. Oh God, I think I am actually trembling now. Those nerves become so obviously bad, Rex feels me shaking against him and gives me a reassuring and affectionate little squeeze. As he sweetly squeezes, the door suddenly opens. "Rex and Angel, I'm so glad you are here." Elizabeth is very welcoming, opening the door with a wide and natural smile.

"Something smells good." Rex says, reluctantly letting go of me to give his mum a big cuddle. "We're both starving, aren't we, Angel?" His eyes now venture in my direction, trying to help me relax by including me in the light and greeting conversation.

"Yes, famished." I completely lie. I have zero appetite. It's hard enough to swallow saliva, let alone an entire meal.

Elizabeth is now also looking at me with her mature but pretty green eyes as she closes the front door. "I'm so happy that you're here, I've been dying to see you again." She enthusiastically then takes hold of my hand, patting it over and over. "I know it's been a long time since we last saw each other, Angel, but I really am glad that you and Rex have found each other again...you were most certainly the one who got away." She winks at Rex, teasing him a little over our long ago break-up.

Nervously smiling at Elizabeth, then briefly at Rex, I try to push aside my overwhelming nerves. "It's lovely to see you again, too." She still has hold of my hand, but I'm too embarrassed to pull it free. "I am also really glad that myself and Rex have found each other again." For the first time this evening, I speak the truth. For the first time this evening, I start to relax. I am more than glad that Rex and I have found each other again, I am actually beyond happy about that. The look of adoration that now settles within my eyes is currently for his benefit only. He has put the fulfilling adoration there, so he can have it all back with my loving look being given in his very charismatic direction.

Surprisingly, Elizabeth then embraces me. "I honestly couldn't be happier about you both getting married." Her embrace is unrestrained and warmly genuine.

Bringing up my arms to gratefully embrace her back, I truly do start to relax in Elizabeth's enthusiastic hold. "Thank you." I softly whisper just over her shoulder.

Drawing back with a broad smile, Elizabeth starts guiding us towards the large living room. "Can I get you both a drink?" She kindly offers as we enter the immaculate looking lounge.

My eyes appreciatively roam over the many cream and gold furniture and furnishings that fill the prettily pristine room, noting that it's not really changed since the last time I was here. "A white wine, if you have it?" I happily ask, watching Rex who seems to be happily now watching me.