Ten

~Devina's POV~

Once we got to the packhouse, Zane leads me upstairs to his office and shut the door behind us

Once we got to the packhouse, Zane leads me upstairs to his office and shut the door behind us. There was no one else in the room. I smiled at the memory of meeting him in here, but the smile soon faded when I remembered what he had told me. He was special. I couldn't help but feel ordinary compared to him. Boring. Plain.

"Okay. Not everyone knows about you." I slowly nodded and looked down.

"It's okay. I can stay in here. You don't have to-" He shook his head and stepped forward towards me, grabbing my hand.

"I want them to know. I do." I nodded, showing him I understood but I was waiting for one word. "But," Ah there it is. "Once they find out about you things are going to change. A lot. When an Alpha has a mate, she's called the Luna of the pack. Like the mother. You're so young I don't want to rush your growing. I don't want you to feel like you have to grow up completely. I don't want you to be unhappy." I removed my hand out of his and brought mine up to his cheek.

"I won't be unhappy Zane." I softly said and he closed his beautiful eyes. "And plus, I'm almost seventeen," I added and he snapped his eyes open.

"When's your birthday?" He eagerly asked and I giggled. "When is it? The suspense is killing me." He huffed out and grabbed my hands, rubbing circles on them with his thumbs.

"Tomorrow." He narrowed his eyes and dropped my hands.

"Were you going to tell me?" I shrugged and looked away.

"Birthdays haven't always been the best for me." He pulled me into his chest and kissed the top of my head.

"It's going to be a good one this year. I'll make sure of it." I pulled away and looked him in the eyes, they held and unsaid promise. A promise that was about more than just a birthday.

"I don't want a party. I don't do well at parties." I frowned and he laughed.

"We'll see. Now about this meeting." His happy expression turned grim. "It's your choice if you want to be introduced to the pack -or some of it rather- or wait a little bit. It's all up to it Sunshine." I nodded and bit my lip, causing Zane's eyes to travel don't wot my lips and focus on them, with a hungry expression in his eyes. I released the piece of skin and looked away.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "But I don't think I'll ever be ready," I said and he flinched. "No! No not like that. Just hear me out. Please." He was still tense, but he nodded for me to continue. "This is all still so weird to me. Just a week ago I didn't believe in any of this and now, I'm an Alpha's mate. I don't understand it and I'm scared." He relaxed and tried to comfort me but I pushed him away, I couldn't be distracted during this. "It's kind of funny because the biggest of my concerns is if they'll like me. I'm just a weak human compared to everyone else. I'm nothing special."

"Listen. You are special. You're special to me and that's all that matters. And besides, I like you as human. I like you for who you are." I looked down at my hands and played with them. "You aren't weak Devina." I scoffed and rolled my eyes.