Forty Eight

~Devina's POV~

"Zane," My breathing quickened as a bad feeling in my stomach doubled

"Don't worry. He's not going to hurt you. I won't let him hurt you." He pulled me into his bare arms and kissed my forehead. "He knows where you live though, there's no way he doesn't. We need to go somewhere safer." He softly spoke, leaning back a little. "Is that okay?"

"I can't miss my classes, it's basically just throwing money away."

"You don't need to worry about money." I scoffed at this, money has never been a carefree thing for me.

"Zane I'm a part-time waitress getting paid minimum wage at some restaurant downtown, I still have to pay for rent and bills. Along with college. I do too need to worry about college." Zane sucked in a deep breath and scowled at me. "Plus gas," I added making him finally snap.

"Devina I own half of this fucking town! Money isn't an issue for me or you! You're with me. In fact, here," He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet, I stepped back and shook my head. He slid out a credit card with my name on it and held it out for me to take.

"I'm not taking your money, Zane. In fact, I'm working to pay you back for the whole college thing." He moved the card closer to me.

"Take the damn card, Devina, there isn't even that much money on it. And you sure as hell aren't paying me back. I won't let you."

"How much?" I asked, knowing for sure that his idea of little is way different than mine when it comes to money.

"A million. Now just take it." My eyes bulged as I looked down at his hand.

"You're holding a million dollars right now?" I whispered, afraid someone might hear me and steal it. I know. A little dramatic, but I've never been around this much money.

"Devina, Baby, please just take it." He moved it even closer to me, even the card looked expensive. It looked like a mirror with raised letters and numbers on it. "It'll make me happy." And that's the thing about the mate bond. Those simple words, or even a variation of it, makes the other happy. That's the only goal you wish to achieve, at least that's how Zane explained it to me.

"I'm not using it unless I have to." I huffed out, grabbing the card and carefully holding it.

"Don't worry, you won't have to. I'm taking you shopping today by the way. I bought a new apartment, a more secure one. We need to furnish it." I sucked in a deep breath and glared at him.

"In other words, it's nicer than this one." He grinned and kissed my lips.

"It is, but it's safer too. And it's on the beach." I nodded and smirked.

"So how far will you be away from me? How far away are you going to be living?" I innocently asked making him raise his eyebrow.

"A few feet. Tops." I rolled my eyes. "Nice try Sunshine." He kissed my nose and ushered me back into the bedroom. "Spaghetti?" He huskily whispered in my ear making me laugh.