Forty Two

~Devina's POV~

I told myself for a year that if Zane ever came back, it would be to say those words

I told myself for a year that if Zane ever came back, it would be to say those words. But that didn't prepare me for the huge amount of pain I felt.

"Y-you what?" I barley managed to breathe out. Zane's eye brows arched as he stared at me. "I-" I looked away from him as a tear slipped down my cheek. Then he stepped forward and lifted my chin so I was looking him dead in the eye.

"It didn't work." He grinned and pulled me up. "It didn't work! If we weren't meant to be, it would've worked. I don't think God wants us to be apart." I pulled away a little and blinked.

"My last name was changed. When I was adopted." Blinking a few more times, I looked back at Zane and shook my head. "How could you do something like that?" I whispered. "You rejected me." I backed away and furrowed my brows. Zane tried to take a step forward which made everything worse. "No. Don't you dare touch me ever again! I can't believe you! You are so selfish. You know that would have killed yourself right? And what about me? If it killed me you probably wouldn't even care would you? You know what, maybe you should leave. Go back to your pack. Just leave me alone." He shook his head and tried to move forward again, making me stop him with my hand.

"If we aren't supposed to be together, then we wouldn't be together right now. I wouldn't be here." I shook my head and looked away.

"Maybe God just wants us to have closure. Maybe it's better for both of us to solve things. I should reject you." Zane flinched back and frantically shook his head.

"No. Please don't Devina. Please don't do this."

"I Devina Ross Sawyer reject you Zane-" Zane lunged forward and smashed his lips on mine. Shocked, I didn't react for a couple of seconds. Then my mind cleared up and I shoved him back. "Just go Zane! I'm done with this. I'm done with all of it!" He stepped back and looked down at his beat up Vans.

"I'm sorry." I stomped over to my door and flung it open.

"Just leave." I looked down at my toes and wiggled them, avoiding Zane's heated gaze.

"Devina, please don't do this." He begged, walking closer to me and the door.

"Zane." I calmly said. "Just go. You need to go." Nodding, he walked straight past me, slowly shutting the door behind himself. I crept over to my bed and numbly sat down. I didn't completely loose myself until I heard his car start and the sound of the engine slowly fade away. I pushed a few stray hairs out of my face with shaky hands and slid down to the floor, resting my back on the bed. Tears started falling and didn't stop until Gwen came rushing over to me.

"Oh honey." She pulled me into his arms and kissed my head. "Shh. It's going to be alright." She must have seen Zane speed away.

"Oliver broke up with me too," I sobbed. "I miss him though." I cried even harder.

"Oliver?" She question and I shook my head.

"No, Zane." She sighed and smoothed my hair down, maybe to help me look a little better, but probably to help soothe me. "I miss him so much."

~Zane's POV~

I waited a few minutes, below her bedroom window. I heard it when she started crying, and when Gwen came in.

"Oliver broke up with me too." She spoke and I listened harder. "I miss him though." She sobbed, making my heart break. She misses him. I swallowed the lump in my throats and started walking away.

"Oliver?" I heard Gwen faintly question.

"No, Zane." I stopped walking and turned around, my heart racing. "I miss him so much." She added as I closed my eyes. Then it was a repeat of the first time we met and I had to drop her off and leave her at home. I turned back around, got in my car and silently drove away. I still care about her. No. I still love her. There's no way in hell I'm leaving her, I'll stick around. Make sure she stays out of trouble. Keeps her grades up, hopefully stays out of relationships. I'm not going to stop her though, I don't blame her for trying to move on.

A few weeks later, I had already bought a few properties around town. A house, a bar, and a hotel. The hotel was the most successful so far, but I spent most of my time at my bar. I'd see her sometimes, out with her two best friends. I wasn't too happy when I found out that ones a guy, but I can see in her eyes that she's happy with them. The last time I saw her was yesterday, at the grocery store. She was buying her favorite ice cream. I closed my eyes as I remembered how pretty she looked. I downed another drink in the VIP room and ordered another, wanting to numb my pain.

~Devina's POV~

"Come on Devina. It's not that big of a deal!" Hailey tugged on my arm, trying to get me to enter the building.

"Not that big of a deal!? We have fake ID's!" I whisper yelled at her making her frantically glance around and plaster her hand on my mouth.

"Shut up and come on!" She grabbed my arm and pulled me inside of Z's. I swallowed and looked around. The room was mostly made up of college students, probably because it's a Friday night. There were a few older men and women trying to drunk their pain away. Like what I'm planning to do. I've only gotten drunk one other time with Zane. Yanking Hailey towards the counter, I pulled out my ID and flagged down a bartender.

"What can I get you lovely ladies?" He smirked and pushed my ID back towards me.

"A piece of you." Hailey giggled, making me roll my eyes.

"Something strong for me." He grinned and nodded. Once I got my drink, I downed it in a few minutes. Then I went onto the next one. And then the next one. And then I lost count.

"Hey," Some college boy slurred.

"Hi." I slurred back, our breaths combining, the smell of vodka empowering everything else.

"Wanna go outside?" I shrugged and nodded. He grabbed my hand with his own and lead us outside into a dark alley.

"I should gooo," I tried turning around to leave but the man grabbed my hand again.

"Nah, come on. Stay." His dark eyes scanned my body making me squirm.

"No, I'm too drunk. I-I need to g-get back to..." I trailed off as I looked down the dark alley. At the end, I saw a black figure standing, with all black clothes. I furrowed my brows and blinked, the person still stood there. The man in front of me started to let his hands roam down low, making me jump. "No! Don't t-touch me!" I tried to shove him off but he was way less drunk than I thought he was. I turned my head to look at the manly figure again and frowned. He was still there. Just staring at me. Then another figure appeared behind him, grabbing his arm and growing him across the alley. They almost blended together, moving too fast to be human and to fast to comprehend. The man in front of me started kissing down my neck as I watched one figure start running towards me. Then all of a sudden, I felt a sharp pain in the crook of my neck. "Wha-" The man was ripped off of me a few seconds later, ripping the pain away too. I felt woozy as I saw the two fighting now. Sliding down to the ground I smiled as I saw the back of the dark figure. "You look like him," I whispered before passing out completely.

~Unkown's POV~

I looked down at the frail human in my strong arms and smiled. I'm not sure if she passed out from the number of drinks I watched her down inside or from the bite. Hopefully, from the alcohol, that'd be easier to explain. I'm not sure if she even knows about vampires. I carried her to my car and sped to my house, not wanting her to wake up before we got there. She'd protest and make a big deal about it. I smiled. She's finally with me again.