Thirty Four

~Devina~

It hurts. Love hurts. Life hurts. Everything hurts. It hurt when Zane did what he did. And no matter how far I sweep it under the rug, it hurts. So that's why I haven't gone to school in two weeks. That's why I'm now living in California with Dylan. I'm not running away from my problems. I'm simply hurrying to get on the higher ground before I drown.

A knock on our apartment door brought me out of my thoughts. Dylan was out with some new friends while I was at home watching some series on tv and eating macaroni and cheese. I paused the show and made my way to the door. When I opened it, a burst of old people perfume hit me.

"Devina Ross Stavros?" A way too young of a woman to be wearing that strong of perfume asked.

"Yes?" I answered. She looked down at a tablet in her hand and then squinted back up at me.

"My name's Sydney Falic from CPS." She turned the tablet off and stuck out her well-moisturized hand. "Child Protective Services." I avoided her hand and tried to shut the door but she grabbed it. "You're going to have to come with me." She leaned her head to the side motioning for me to come out of the apartment but I just stayed there.

"What's going on? Who are you?" Dylan finally showed up and stepped in between us.

"I'm from CPS. This probably isn't news to you, but Devina is a miner and while her mother is in jail, she'll be placed elsewhere." Dylan looked back at me and then back at Sydney.

"You're not taking her anywhere." He calmly spoke.

"Devina's attendance has substantially decreased since her mother was convicted and put in prison. Her grades have dropped too. And she hasn't been taking her prescribed medication. We can't just let her live with a boyfriend. I'm sorry." Dylan stepped closer to me, making me move back a little into the apartment.

"He's not my boyfriend! But he's taking more care of me than my mother ever did." She leaned around Dylan to look at me.

"It's the law. You have to come with us. Otherwise you," She pointed at Dylan and raised her eyebrows. "Will be charged with kidnapping. So I suggest you hand her over to me so we can do this the easy way." Dylan looked back at me.

"I'm sorry Devina." I rapidly shook my head.

"Dylan no please," He placed his hands on my shoulders and leveled our eyes.

"You deserve so much more than this. That's one thing I'm absolutely positive about. I'm sorry but she's right kiddo." Then he turned back towards Sydney. "Where is she going? I won't let her go to a bad place. And if she is placed in a bad place, I will come get her." Sydney pulled her tablet back out and typed a few words.

"She'll stay in a temporary home for a few days until we find a more permanent place for her. Don't worry, she will be in good hands." Dylan nodded and stepped over to the side. "Go pack sweetheart." She smiled at me.