Savvy

I appear to discuss this rather frequent.

Predominately in the comments of specific chapters, or I may briefly insinuate my displeasure in regards to the topic.

Intelligence.

It happens to be measured in what I believe to be an immensely illogical manner, typically through a very narrow-minded perspective and idealized perception of what it means.

Being referred to as a "scholar," a "genius," or generally "smart," I tend to disagree because I have quite a large canvas of what I believe can be defined as intelligent, or even relatively so. 

I am frequently questioned why I type as though I am a professor, when I am merely thirteen. 

Some consider it pretentious. 

Others charming.

Apparently intimidating for others as well.

I must firmly disagree with pretentious. If pretentiousness were prevalent in my decision to write eloquently for my age, and I suppose for statistics regarding my race, I would certainly do far more than I currently do.

My intention for typing in a sophisticated manner is to obliterate initial stereotypes, have the individual I am speaking to know that I am willing to engage in intellectual conversation, and that I am not feeble minded or incapable of defending myself.

I swear infrequently. I find it vulgar and unnecessary, when there happens to be a plethora of sophisticated words to use an alternative. Not to say, that I am superior and that I did not. I have the occasional blurt when frustrated, but I have noticed that swearing typically comes up when others make illogical points in an argument. Although it depends on the individual.

Nonetheless, returning to the primary topic. 

(My, my I appear to transition frequently, don't I?)

Despite the education system being blatantly flawed, how fellow students view intelligence infuriates me. They presume that having the highest capacity to memorize therefore means that you have superior intellect. Because truthfully, tests are not a measure of your intelligent, more so what you memorized, and memorization for certain things that may be eminently bland is difficult.

While memorization does encompass your application, and whether it resonated within your mind, material is generally not taught to the extent where it remains in our minds. A considerable amount of teachers are indifferent as to whether it is memorized or not, they simply want you to perform well on a test. As they are graded by what percentage of their students are successful. 

Perhaps, one of the greatest teachers I have ever had, if not the greatest, is my current teacher for Honors Language Arts.

She is phenomenal. Very intelligent, kind, and humorous. But more so, she happens to sincerely be concerned for our futures.

A quote which I find an in-depth take of her brilliance is: 

"I'm not simply here to prepare you for those tests, I couldn't care less if you did poorly. I'm here to prepare you for the high school, but more importantly adulthood. If you gather more knowledge about how to conduct yourself in the real world than what I am teaching you in regards to being an honors class, I'd be happy.

This is exemplary of what the mindsets of all teachers should be. Sadly, for honors science, my teacher is rather lethargic and sporadic in her methods. She assigns us work, changes the requirements when we have concluded, and provides us with low grades. We must argue our point in which she will hopefully, but rarely adjust it to give us proper scores.

It's not that we feel entitled, but when you include requirements to a rubric without informing the class, and mock us on how poorly we did, it is rather aggravating.

Although I transitioned once more, I'd like to reiterate my primary point.

Intelligence should not be limited to academics in school.

I say that as an honors student, who generally never has a grade below a 95 in any subject. I do what I must because it is sufficient for my passing of the grade. However, I don't have a firm belief in its effectiveness. 

I'd rather have a teacher spend hours assisting me in the appliance of physics (evidently that would be experimental rather than theoretical) than suggesting that I memorize separate equations that I may already be proficient in. 

I crave knowledge, but I don't wish to represent that by merely spewing out facts, since that appears to be the requirement for astounding a crowd.

People say: "Dude stop using big words, we get it you're smart."

My perpetual response is: "Having a sophisticated vocabulary does not define intelligence."

It doesn't remain.

It's aggravating as well.

If our generation is limited to such a specific way of exerting intelligence, I fear how we will progress as a society and how brilliant minds may be limited in expression.

There is the conclusion for now I suppose. Farewell then.