Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Zaid's POV)

"Your mate?" Holly gasped. The man didn't look at us with a lick of shame on his face, just the heart-wrenching grief I would never comprehend.

"Yes. We've been mated since I turned eighteen, four years ago," He responded, his voice shaking before he looked away, locking his eyes on me again, "And now he's dead and it's my fault."

"What do you mean?" My voice came out a whisper. I felt my mother's eyes burning into me accusingly, as if it was my fault I had brought this man here.

"The Hunters fell upon our pack while we were sleeping. We woke up to the sound of our pups screeching. We tried to get to their room in time, but it was too late. We tried to attack them, both in human form and wolf form, but nothing worked. They're bigger than they used to be, stronger and smarter. Felix and I barely got away and we kept runnig, but we ran into an ambush. That's when Felix was wounded. It was my fault because I kept urging him to go on when we both knew he couldn't."

"If you had left him there, they would have killed him anyway." My mother replied, the ice in her voice striking through me. How could she be so heartless? Just because we were wolves, didn't mean we were callous. Even so, she gazed at him with a blank stare. He ignored her look and kept his eyes on me.

Why was he staring at me like that? Was I familiar to him or was I really the only one showing sympathy for him?

"They wouldn't have killed him right away," The man murmured, "They would've tortured him, like they did with the rest of our pack. They burned my parents alive. They torched our homes and hung our elders from the trees. You don't understand, these Hunters are monsters! They speak of us like we're fiends, when they're the real beasts! You're not safe here, they're moving west and they will stop here; Of this I have no doubt in my mind."

"No," My mother responded coldly, "They won't find us. We've hidden here for generations. The Luna pack is safe here." At the name of our pack, the man reeled.

"Luna?" He asked for confirmation. My mother nodded. The man's eyes flickered around thoughtfully before landing on my face again. I gave him a questioning stare, but he said nothing in response to it before he looked at my mother.

"Your pack leader is Nyt Kallas, isn't he?"

"Yes."

"I am Jack Runningwolf from Trinity. My pack leader was the brother of Nyt." He informed. My mother's eyes flashed.

"You lie."

"I do not. Otis Kallas. We were a pack of three combined. The Rose Wind, the Dark Sky, and the Runningwolf. We became Trinity not more than six months ago." Jack replied, glancing at me. I felt a chill go through me as his dark eyes seemed to darken. My mother frowned.

"Damn it," She cursed, "All right. Holly, keep tending to him. We'll keep him here until Nyt has drawn his own conclusion. Until then, keep your eyes peeled and do not let the pups go outside."

And that was that. Everyone split off to do their own jobs, Holly and I staying behind as Jack settled back on the bed, breathing heavily with pain. Lars was reluctant to leave her sign and gave me a warning glare that meant to protect her with my life. I nodded, watching him depart before I turned to Holly, who dabbed the cold cloth on his forehead.

"You've gone through so much. I'm so sorry for your loss." She said quietly. Jack gave a broken, weak smile as he sighed deeply.

"This is just the beginning. I'm not done fighting yet." He answered tiredly, then his eyes shifted to me. I stared back at him, glancing at Holly as she rose to her feet.