Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three (Scythe's POV)

It was a cool night and the moon was full again. Its glow lit up our bedroom with a silvery shade that felt almost peaceful.

I couldn't sleep, though, because the day had finally come. In the morning, we would wake up and go about business as usual, but not for long. That evening, we were going into town, but not for supplies, not for a visit. We were going to park in the Wagner's parking lot and wait for Jack and Ash to arrive to pick us up.

I hadn't slept in days with this thought running around in my head. I knew it was going to come.

At the same time, my heart was squelching in pain and my stomach was churning from nerves. I didn't want to see Zaid get near Jack again, especially now that Zaid was too weak to defend himself.

I rolled onto my back, tilting my head to look at Zaid, who was fast asleep on his side with an arm curled under his head. His belly was huge now and it was so obvious that he was pregnant. He had the beach ball look, his belly swollen with pups. How many were in there? God, I didn't know if I could handle all those pups.

But I couldn't think about myself. I had to think about Zaid.

I sighed, watching him with a sleepy smile on my face. His hair was a bit longer after two months, brushed gently over his eyes and just past his ears. His cheeks were rosy from nuzzling the pillow and his dark lashes brushed his cheeks so gently. He was wearing a large pale lavender t-shirt, but it still didn't hide the lump underneath.

I reached up, brushing my fingertips by his cheek. He murmured something faintly, his eyelids parting for a split second before he slumped back into slumber. I smiled, but it melted as I stared out the window again at the moon that seemed to stare at me accusingly.

I stayed awake all night and watched the sun slowly rise over the tops of the brilliant green pines and oaks. I rose before Zaid, showering and dressing in a pair of leather pants to match the jacket and black v-neck. I pulled my motorcycle boots on and went downstairs for some coffee, relishing at the delicious chicory flavor before I went upstairs to wake Zaid.

I touched his shoulder gently, watching him squirm a little, his hand smacking my hand for me to go away. I smiled.

"Zaid... Uhm, you should wake up now." I said quietly. Finally Zaid's eyes open, revealing tired mint green irises and dilated pupils.

"Get showered and dressed." I murmured. Zaid sighed, tilting his head for a second, then grimacing.

"It hurts." He managed. I tried to smile again, but it hurt to force myself, so I just nodded and helped him sit up. His nails dug into my arms, his teeth gritted as he took a deep breath. He finally stood and I let him do his business as I went out into the hallway to see Kyler coming out of his room at the same time, wearing a black and white striped long-sleeved v-neck and black jeans.

"Hey, cat." I greeted. Kyler cocked a brow, then stuck his tongue out at me childishly.

"Cur." He returned.

"You ready for today?" I asked. Kyler sobered, his expression grim now as he shoved his hands into his jean pockets.

"Never, but we'll do it anyway." He answered.

"What exactly are you going to do?" I asked suspiciously. Kyler had just given me the gist of his part in this whole charade and he was rather reluctant to give me any more information. And as usual, Kyler shrugged.

"Danced the tango, throw in some waltz, try a little hip-hop, then line-dance outta there before Beyonce notices I suck." He responded charmingly before giving me a quick salute and wink before doing a mock moondance to the stairs, then slid down the banister. I rolled my eyes and looked up as Zaid came out of the bedroom, grimacing a little.