Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Zaid's POV)

A/N: Woof! That took longer than expected! Well, here ya go. A nice... naughty chapter. So, just warning you all ahead of time so you're not caught off guard and having a fainting spell. I think I get more and more graphic each time I write one of these scenes, so beware, kiddies!

I didn't let myself relax until I reached the Mockingbird down the road. I parked my Suzuki in the back, pausing as I gazed up at the old Victorian designed building for a while. I took a couple of deep breathes to calm down.

I couldn't tell if I was nervous about having a date with Scythe or if I was nervous about those two thugs back at the Wagner's. They were definitely human. I could smell it on them. At the same time, they acted different. Mingled with human was the scent of danger.

Should I mention it to Scythe? The Hunters? Jack?

Yea, that makes for a brilliant conversation topic.

So, this wolf and his dead mate show up in our territory howling about Hunters. And a couple of suspicious looking dudes came into town. Ain't it a hoot?

I pressed the heels of my palms to my eyes in frustration, gritting my teeth before I took a deep breath to calm myself. I spread my hands out, waving air into my face.

No.

I'm being paranoid.

Being around Jack just had me wound up is all.

Jack and his pack were probably attacked by an enemy pack, they just never saw the ambush coming. As for the thugs at Wagner's, gator hunters came into town occasionally, so maybe that's who they were. Stopping by for supplies before a good hunt. Of course, that explains the German Shepherd.

So why did I still feel wound up?

I ignored the nagging sensation, taking a deep breath and heading in through the side door to the Mockingbird. It was a typical small town grille, and one of the biggest buildings in town with two stories. The ground floor was made up of the grille while the second was comprised of small apartments for the drunks and owner. Said owner was actually part of the Amethyst pack just on the edge of town, a small time pack that was mostly under my father's command when it came to big time battles.

Of course, those hadn't happened in years.

I walked down the short hallway to the main room where the bar sat at the center of the grille, other tables scattered around as well as small portion left for arcade games. A couple of human bikers were arguing over a Mrs. Pac-Man game while another guy was playing pool.

He wasn't human.

I recognized him immediately and I felt my heart begin to pound. He must have heard it too because he looked up past his dark hair, a smiling gracing his lips. Scythe Rider set his pool stick down, leaning over to one of the humans to mutter something in his ear. The older man snorted and turned away as Scythe made his way over to me.

"Glad you could make it, Zaid." He greeted, gesturing for me to follow him. I just nodded and obeyed as he led me down an aisle. We took a booth in the furthest corner where smoke hung in a light scattered haze. Scythe gestured for a waitress before he looked at me, draping an arm across the top of the booth, leaning toward me and grinning.

"Uhm..." Was my totally intelligent response. I felt my face grow hot with embarrassment as Scythe grinned wider, showing off nice, white teeth. His canines were just a tad thicker, and far sharper than any human's if you looked close enough.

"Don't tell me you're afraid of me." He said after a moment. I shook my head.

"No... Just cautious."