Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Scythe's POV)

I used to tell myself that I was a loner, despite being surrounded by a heavy pack.

We had four females and five males. We also had a litter of pups to watch over. It was the typical wolf pack, and yet, I felt like I was completely alone in it. They weren't cruel or unusual like most wolf packs were way back when.

I just felt like I was missing a piece of me.

And that piece was in a completely different pack, on the other side of the forest.

Zaid Kallas.

The moment I saw him, I recognized him. I couldn't remember his name, but I remembered his eyes. They were seafoam green with a glint of curiosity to them. I couldn't take my eyes off them. They contrasted powerfully with his chocolate colored hair. He dressed like he was a biker, which was no problem. A lot of packs around here did that. It was all the rage amongst the packs.

But he wasn't as tough as a biker. I mean that in a good way. He wasn't harsh and cruel like his father was. Nor was he as shrilly and rude as his mother. Zaid held an aura around him that was all his own. He stood so far apart from his pack that it made me wonder if Zaid was adopted.

I remembered the last night we saw each other. He was beautiful in the moonlight, his skin glittering with sweat. His face flushed pink and his breathing labored, his nails digging into my skin.

Damn, just thinking about it was making my body react.

I took a deep breath and rolled over on my canopy bed, watching the black silks stream in front of me, hiding me from the rest of my room. I could hear the clatter of dishes and a vaccum as Trisha, one of the females, cleaned the house up for the rest of the males that were going to arrive from a hunt in an hour or so. The smell of rain wavered through the window, filling the air along with the smell of pine and oranges from the kitchen.

I needed something to do, I thought miserably, heaving myself up onto all fours. I groped around for my tank top, jerking it on and sliding off the bed. I grabbed my leather pants from the chair, tugging them on and zipping them up as I wandered into the hallway. I could hear the pups yelping and wailing from one of the rooms, their mother (Thalia) trying to sooth them for their afternoon nap.

I came down the large winding staircase of the three story house we lived in.

Our pack barely managed in the small house and my father liked to rant and rave about how Luna had gotten the largest home in the area, even though they're pack was much smaller than ours. Of course, rumor has it that they had lost several members a previous year due to a civil war, but I never asked about it. It was none of my business.

In all honesty, I didn't care about Luna. They were just another wolf pack to me.

It was their future alpha that appealed to me.

I sighed as I dropped onto the floor from the last step, wandering aimlessly into the kitchen to find Xina (pronounced zee-nuh). Xina was another she-wolf, but she had yet to give birth to any pups, which made her mate -my uncle, Ugo- really uneasy. He wasn't nasty or cruel to her or anything, he was just impatient and worried that Xina was infertile.

"Hey, X." I greeted, plopping into one of the chairs that sat around our small cafe table. Xina looked up, her soft brown eyes smiling, but her expression tired as she tucked a lock of black hair behind her ear.

"Morning, Scythe. You look kind of down in the dumps. What's up?" She sat across from me with a cup of coffee, the steam rising and curling in the air. I grimaced, glancing out the window wishing she wouldn't ask me these sorts of things. That's why I wasn't fond of close families. It meant they had to know everything about you.