Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Scythe's POV)

"I'm a freak. I'm a freak and I'm going to die in nine months." Zaid managed as we sat on his bed together. He just sat there, his back to the headboard, his knees curled to his chest. He was only wearing a pair of sweatpants and fuzzy gray socks. Any other time he'd look delicious, now I felt pain tugging at my heart.

"You're not a freak." I repeated, but it was no use. He wasn't dwelling so much on the freak part as the death part.

"I'm a guy. Guys aren't supposed to give birth. It's... wrong."

Or maybe the freak part was really unnerving.

I was honestly caught off guard as well. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't even resist the urge of staring at his flat stomach. In no time, it'd be swelling. His hand drifted over his gut, clenching in a fist against it as he gritted his teeth.

"This isn't fair." He groaned, dropping his head onto his knees. I wanted to reach out and comfort him, but I knew that was the last thing he wanted; to be chided by the guy he was going to mate with this coming weekend. The guy who accidentally got him pregnant. I never thought I'd find myself in this kind of situation being gay.

I couldn't tell if I was thrilled at the idea of being a father or agonized by the idea of not only hurting Zaid, but causing his death. The thought made my throat close. Because we had sex, he was going to die and there was no telling if his pups would even make it or not, meaning that this was all for naught.

If you love him so much, you'll take him back to Jack.

No, Goddess, no. Why am I even considering that? Jack was probably going to pick him apart as well as the pups. Hell, he might even take a stab at me. At the same time, Kyler was right. We had no idea what we were going to do. I'd never even seen a female give birth, let alone a male. How did this even work? C-section? I shuddered at the idea of cutting Zaid open. The smallest paper cut on his finger was enough to worry me sick.

"I've never felt so miserable," Zaid moaned, clasping his hands at the back of his neck, "I feel so sick, I can't eat without throwing it back up. I know there's morning sickness, Holly had it, but it's been a while, hasn't it? It shouldn't keep doing this, right? I don't know what to do, Scythe. I'm so sorry I got you into this mess."

"It's not your fault," I protested, "We didn't know, Zaid. How could we have known? Look, we'll just... wait it out. In the mean time, just take it easy. Don't do anything dangerous for a while and stay near the house in case Jack decides to come back for you." Zaid's eyes flickered before he looked up.

"Jack... Do you think Jack knows what to do?" He asked. I glared at him.

"No. Don't even think about it. Jack's a sick twisted bastard who doesn't know what he's doing. He pumped you full of drugs so he could do experiments, Zaid."

"You don't think the drugs did anything to the pups, do you?"

"I don't think so... Look, we can't keep worrying about it. The more we do, the more upset you'll get and I think that's the last thing you need. For now, I'll do whatever I can to make you comfortable."

"I'm not helpless," Zaid protested, looking even more miserable, "I can handle myself just fine... I think. I don't want you to treat me any less than you did before. I guess, I always knew I was a freak somehow. I just wish it wasn't this bad." He hid his face against his knees again and this time, I took him into my arms, cradling him against me in my lap, his head against my shoulder as he settled against me.

I held him until he drifted to sleep. I didn't disturb him as I gently placed him on the bed, pulling the blankets over him before I slipped from the room to grab some tea before I planned to return. The house was quiet by now. Dark and eerily peaceful as everyone had finally gone off to bed after harrassing Zaid to tears. My father hadn't spoken to me since and I wasn't surprised. He needed time to wrap his head around it.