Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“What? We won?!” My mom exclaimed loudly into the phone by her mouth. I couldn’t hear what the person on the other line was saying, but whatever it was must’ve been amazing because the look on my mom’s face was… indescribable.

“You’re kidding! I know you are, I could not have possibly won this!” My mom shouted into the phone. After the person on the other line finished talking, my mom’s smile grew even larger, (if that was possible.)

 “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” My mom excitedly said to the person. They exchanged quick goodbyes and my mom put down the phone and looked at me, her eyes gleaming.

 “So what did you win?” I asked my mom casually while trying to look happy.

 “… A house in Chicago, Illinois and a two week cruise!” My mother exclaimed while jumping up and down like a little kid.

 “Wow,” Was all I managed to get out of my mouth.

  “Oh! I have to go tell your dad! He’ll be so happy! We can finally enjoy a vacation and live in a much better house!” My mom said while turning her body to face the direction where my parent’s room was.

   I wasn’t really happy on hearing this news because all of my friends and my boyfriend were here and I became really familiar with Phoenix, Arizona. I wasn’t really expecting to start a new life. And breaking the news to the people I have grown up with… I wasn’t really expecting that anytime soon.

   “Sweetie that is amazing!” I heard a manly voice yell. Yup, that was my dad.

   “I know!” My mom squealed excitedly. I sighed inwardly and pulled out my phone from the back pocket of the shorts I was wearing. ‘Hey meet me @ Oak Park in 15. Got some important news 2 break.’ I texted into my phone and sent the text to my friends; Stevie, Taylor, Callum, Bryce, Emma, and last but not least my amazing boyfriend Matthew.

   Oak Park was where all of us met, and whenever we needed to talk, that’s where we headed. I paced myself to my parent’s room and told my parents, “I’m going to Oak Park with Matt, Em, Bryce, Cal, Tay, and Stevie.” They gave me a sympathetic look and said, “I’m so sorry Adel, but this is a wonderful opportunity and we just can’t miss this chance.”

   “Okay you don’t have to explain. I understand,” I said with a forced smile. I quickly waved at them and turned and walked to the front door, where I slipped on some cheap brown flip flops and grabbed my iPod. I inserted the earphones in my ear and switched to the song that described my feelings, Set Fire to the Rain, by Adele.

   I got to Oak Park in about ten short minutes and saw that everyone was already huddled together beside a tree.

   I plastered on a smile and confidently walked towards them.

   “Hey,” I managed to choke out, even if what I said came out as a whisper. They all nodded and smiled and greeted me.

   “Imma shoot you if you say that you’re pregnant!” Emma blurted out. I looked at her with my eyes wide and filled with horror.

   “Um no. Sorry, but you can’t shoot me today.” I said with a small chuckle slipping out of my mouth.

   “Okay good! Matt here was pacing around the park muttering to himself about how you might be pregnant and…” Emma said gesturing towards Matt. I turned to face him and walked by him and held his hand tightly.

   “Okay so if you’re not pregnant then why’d you call us here? You know I was in the middle of this porno movie and you interrupted me,” Callum joked.

   “Ha. Ha. Funny,” I said sarcastically. “Okay well… my parents won this thing where we go on a cruise for two weeks, then we get a house in Chicago, Illinois and she accepted and so we’re gonna be moving there and…” I choked out before starting to cry. Matt immediately let go of my hand and froze. I turned to look at him and his eyes were filled with shock, pain, and anger.

   “…Matt…?” I whispered quietly.

   “Shit no! And you’re going with them?” Matt shouted at me. Some people around the park looked at us and covered their children’s ears.

   “Your child is going to learn those words when he’s older anyway so you don’t have to protect him from it,” Stevie blurted out to the woman who was close by us and was teaching her son to ride a bike. She rolled her eyes and turned back around to face me.

   “I have to Matt, I have no other choice.” I said trying hard not to break down.

   “Yeah you do! You don’t have to do everything they say Addie! You’re seventeen! You can stand up for yourself!” Matt shouted out.

   “Calm down man. You’re scaring her,” Bryce suggested, tapping Matt on the shoulder.

   “We can do long distance,” I suggested with a shaky voice. Matt glared at me and then shook his head and started to laugh, “Wow. You think I’ll wait up for you? A girl who can’t even stand up for herself? Pathetic.” Matt muttered. “We’re over.” Matt added with a scoff.

   “Dude you’re overreacting,” Bryce shouted after him as Matt walked away without turning back.

   I just stood there. Heartbroken. My boyfriend of two years and three months just broke up with me. I tried to hold back my tears but they rolled down my cheek and flooded my face. Stevie, Taylor, Callum, Emma, and Bryce gathered around me and gave me a long hug in a huddle.

   Taylor scoffed and said, “Adel, you are so not worth him. Don’t cry. Please, we’ll always be friends with you. You can’t cry over him, he is dumb and he’s the pathetic one.”

   “He’s not handling the news well, sorry for his reactions,” Bryce said in a comforting tone.

   “Obviously!” Taylor shouted back at Bryce, clearly annoyed.

   “Look I’m just going to go okay?” I said trying to force a smile. They each looked at me with sympathy and said, “Talk to us when you feel better.” I gave them a quick nod and started to walk back home.

   When I got home, my parents were cuddled around each other, laughing. They looked up to greet me, but when they saw that my eyes were filled with tears, they immediately got up from their position and comforted me.

   “Honey, what’s wrong?” My mom questioned, worry filling her voice.

   “Well, Matt broke up with me. I’m moving to Illinois, and my life is basically hell. The only thing that turned out good is the cruise.” I cried.

   My parents exchanged glances and looked at me. “Honey, the cruise is for two people.”

   “Great, nice to know everything is for my benefit,” I said while running out of the living room and into my room with hot tears burning down my cheek. My life is hell.