Chapter 2

Chapter 2

   I ran into my room and made sure to shut the door behind me and lock it. I jumped on my bed and sighed, trying to hold back my tears from anger and pain. I couldn’t hold onto them anymore, I loosened my muscles and let the tears slip out of my eyes, while whimpering slightly. I heard a light knock on the door and a woman’s voice, which was obviously my mom’s, “Addie, open the door. Please, I’m so sorry.” I was silent for a minute then stood up from my bed (which creaked loudly) and made my way to my bedroom door. I opened it and came face-to-face with my mom who had a pained expression on her face.

   “Look Adel, I’m sorry but this was a great opportunity for us and we couldn’t miss it. I’m so sorry about the cruise Hun, but as I said this was a great opportunity.” My mom tried to explain. I waved her off and said sarcastically, “Of course it is.”

   “Adel, please try to understand,” My mom begged.

   “Understand what? That a stupid house and cruise is more important than your daughter? Well you don’t need to explain anymore because I totally get it,” I said with tears prickling my eyes. Before she could say anything, I thought about what I said, and realized that I came out as a complete bitch.

   “Adel, you are infinity times better but this… we need a change.”

   I sighed and said, “Look mom, I get it okay? So am I staying at the new house by myself?”

   “No, we have to pick out the house first, which we’ll do after we return from the cruise, but in the meantime, you are staying with the Crawford family in Illinois.”

   “What?” I said surprised. “I don’t even know them, come on mom!” I begged.

   “They’re really nice Addie! Your dad and I have been friends with them so they will take really good care of you and anyway, it’s only for two weeks.” My mom explained to me.

   “Yeah sure… why don’t you put my name in the list of people who will go to hell?” I suggested sarcastically.

   “Adelaide Courtney Hendricks! This is a wonderful opportunity! Stop being so sassy!” My mom snapped.

   “You know what? I’ll pack my bags and take the subway into hell,” I said, trying to intimidate her.

   My mom groaned in frustration and called my dad for help, “Billy! Come here!” I heard footsteps and within seconds, my dad was standing right next to my mom with an annoyed expression covering his face. He sighed and asked me the most straightforward question a dad can ever ask his daughter, “Are you on your period?”

   I threw my hands up in the air and said, “You know I have feelings? Not everything is based on my stupid period!”

   “Look sweetie I get you’re upset but you have to understand that sometimes you need a change in life,” My dad suggested sweetly. I wanted to say, ‘Sometimes in life you need a one way ticket to hell,’ but I knew that if I said that, my parents would be really pissed so I kept my mouth shut.

   “You need to learn to sacrifice,” My mom added. After she said that, I got really mad. I definitely had a better relationship with my dad, thumbs up for a daddy’s girl.

   “Okay I get it. When do I leave?” I asked through gritted teeth.

   “Monday morning, so you basically have like one day,” My dad said. I gasped. One day to say goodbye to everything and everyone I’ve grown up with?

   “You’ve got to be kidding me! I need at least two weeks. Do you know how hard this is going to be? Do you? And what about school?”

   “I understand sweetheart. But that’s just that way it is. I’m sorry. And as for school, we’ve taken you out and enrolled you into Sander’s High in Illinois.”

   “Great! Beautiful! Amazing! Awesome! Fabulous! Gnarly! Rad! Super!” I shouted out with the obvious sarcasm in my voice. I don’t usually act like this, but when I’m seriously pissed, I don’t keep track of what I do or say, and the other’s persons feeling? I could care less about that.

   “Good to see that you like the idea,” My dad said with a fake smile. He put his hand on my shoulder and added, “You should start packing if you want to spend the day saying goodbye to your friends tomorrow.” He took a piece of paper out of his pocket, which was my plane ticket and showed it to me. I pointed at it and asked, “…And what if I rip that?”

    He chuckled,” You wouldn’t dare, but if you do, we step on your phone.” I gasped and rubbed my back pocket, which contained my phone. He knew I couldn’t live without my phone. I sighed in defeat and said, “Fine.”

   He smiled and said, “Good.”

   He wrapped his right arm around my mom and turned to leave, but before they could walk away, I thanked them, “Thanks for buying me the ticket to hell.”