Chapter 8 - The Pink Flowered Killer

Oliver's POV

Two days Later - Wednesday

"I woke up I was stuck in a dream // You were there, you were tearing up everything // And we all know how to fake it, baby // And we all know what we've done // We must be killers // Children of the wild ones // Killers // Where we got left to run?"

Finishing the first verse, my voice stopped wavering with nerves, as I started to break into my vocal chords again. Evelyn knew I could sing, and scream, but she'd only ever heard me once prior to this. Lee, Nicholls, and her had ganged up on me, forcing me to sing something. 

"Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer..." I echoed. 

As I started to get more into the song, I let myself drop to the floor, sitting with my legs tucked at my sides. I closed my eyes and continued to sing. It was so much easier when I couldn't see them watching. The microphone wasn't on, but I held it as if it was. 

"Set my body free // Silver tigers in the moonlight running // And the wind in the trees // Singing do you believe?"

"And we all know how to fake it, baby // And all we know is gone // We must be killers // Children of the wild ones // Killers // Where we got left to run?"

"Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer..."

"And we all know how to fake it, baby // And we all know what we've done // We must be killers // Children of the wild ones // Killers // Where we got left to run?"

I was almost finished the short song now. I could almost imagine the instruments in my head, rounding off the drums, starting in on the last guitar riff. 

I really needed to form a band... Nicholls was really getting good at drums, and Lee the same with guitar. I knew they were just waiting for me to ask, but with Evelyn there too, I didn't want her to be left out. 

"Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer // Killer..."

"Children of the wild ones // Children of the wild ones // Children of the wild ones..."

I finished with my friends applauding me; although I liked to think Evelyn was clapping faster than the others were. Maybe it just seemed that way since she was the only one I was looking at. She flashed me a wide smile. 

"That was great!" She exclaimed. 

Looking away, I smiled and thanked her modestly. 

When I stood up, Evelyn was still hyper with excitement. She rushed up to hug me, wrapping her arms around me. My face went red, and I barely had the chance to hug her back before she retreated from my arms. 

Her eyes were still sparkling, though I didn't look into them for to long. 

Evelyn and I were talking for a minute or two while Lee seemed deep in discussion about the science homework. They both turned to me slowly, smirking and jeering quietly. I arched an eyebrow. Evelyn had her back to them, and she didn't seem to notice my eyebrow. 

Nicholls pointed to Evelyn, air thrusting twice. 

I went bright red and looked away from him, causing them both to laugh. 

When the bell rang, the others headed to their science class, while Evelyn and I headed to maths. 

We took our usual seats and stared toward the front of the classroom, waiting for the teacher to say something, instead of just clicking away at her computer. That time didn't come anytime soon, so Evelyn and I started talking, much like the rest of the class. 

"Dinner's tomorrow, right?" I asked anxiously. I wanted to be sure I had the times right. I had been fretting over it ever since she brought it up. 

Properly meeting her dad? That was a huge pressure on me. I doubted that I would ever be able to get together with Evelyn, but if by some miracle I did end up with her, I knew that it would mean a lot if her dad liked me. Marilyn was her only parental figure. 

She loved him very much, and that was plain to see. 

"Yup." Evelyn replied. "You don't have to wear a suit or anything." She chuckled. "It's really not as fancy as your thinking it is."

"How'd you know I was thinking that?" I asked suspiciously. 

Evelyn just smiled. "Because I know you." She said quietly. Then she coughed, as if there was something wrong with her throat. "I-I mean, just calm down. It's only dinner with my dad."

Before I could speak, she took her pink flowered headband off. She had worn it today as a joke, saying it contrasted well with her black clothes, makeup, and hair. The she leaned closer. She gently placed it on my head. 

"With the power of this best friend charm, may you stop freaking out over nothing." She laughed. 

Only her best friend... I sighed and tuned in to what the teacher had started saying. 

I wanted to be so much more than just best friends with her, and over the past few days when she had come to stay over at my house, my longing for her had reached a new level. I was constantly finding excuses to be close to her - the makeup, the teddy bear, comparing height on the mattress. 

The wistful feeling was set like stone in my heart, a dull ache that wouldn't go away. I craved her so much it was starting to hurt. 

Every now and then I would turn on myself. What did I not have?

Why didn't she see me as boyfriend material?

What could I do to make her like me?

What was wrong with me? 

__________

Just want to say, if you ever ask yourself that last question, DON'T! To someone, you are perfect <3 There is nothing wrong with you for being you!