~part 33~

"You're failing."

Miss Shawn made me stay behind at break time, to go over my test.

"52%, Naina. This isn't good enough!" She eyed me through her spectacles with disappointment.

"I once remember you getting 95% and now? Now what happened? Promise me you'll try harder. I know you have the potential."

I nodded. "I will miss." My voice was barely above a whisper.

I took the test out of her hands and I felt my shoulders dropping.

As I stepped out into the busy corridors pouring with people, I felt like a sardine in a jar.

"Hey, did you hear that scholar Naina got 52%?"

"Oh my gosh! Really!? I got 72%!!!"

I heard all these gossips amongst the groups of friends and I felt my tears pricking with pressure. My neck and spine hurt by trying to hide my embarrassed face.

There had been one time when I had been top of the class, and now I'm probably even breaking the records of the lowest scores ever achieved.

I was too caught up in revision for "how to get your crush to like you" instead of how to get exam papers to like you.

I sighed and watched the rain drops drip onto the common room window which portrayed the dullness outside.

"Hey!" Suddenly, a cheerful voice bounded beside me.

"Oh, hi Bunny." I twisted and got up so I turned to face him.

"Relax, sit down." He held my hand and we settled onto the sofa.

"What's up?" he asked, sensing my unenthusiastic behavior.

"Nothing." I tried to smile back.

"Those eyes are saying something else...." he came closer and thinned his own eyes like he was a detective.

I went towards the cupboard and got out my chemistry textbook.

He grabbed it out of my hands and raised it to a height which mine couldn't reach.

"Bun....." I began irritatedly.

"Give it back Bunny, stop!" I became impatient.

"Woah! Look at that anger." Bunny teased, running around with me chasing him unhappily.

"BUNNY I SAID STOP." I roared across the room, which made everyone stop and look at me to see what the beef was all about.

Bunny stopped abruptly and his smile turned into a look of confusion.

"Naina, what's up with you?" He began coming nearer but I felt tears dripping down my cheeks so I turned away and locked myself in one of the private study rooms.

"N...."

"Leave her Bunny." I heard Aditi join him on the other side of the door.

"But what's wrong? She never was like this before?" I heard the anxiety in Bunny's voice.

I sunk down to the foot of the door, crying silently because of all the controversial talks going on about me.

"I know right! Bunny why don't you just leave her!? And anyway - it's no use giving a failure any attention...." Lara joined him in her usual tight clothing and mini skirt whose hem was torn as a fashion trend.

Bunny jerked his head up at Lara's acrimonious words.

"Lara!"

She jumped.

"She's my friend therefore it's my duty to give her all the attention and respect she needs, understand?" Bunny glared at her.

I lifted my head up at what he said.

Tara inhaled deeply, highly offended by what her boyfriend had said.

"He's right." Avi came and thumped him on his back in approval.

"Fine then, if you all think you're so clever, then guess what she got in her biology exam?" Lara taunted. "52%." Lara sneered with her pathetic friends who were like her bodyguards.

"Remember that there was once a time when you got 48%, Lara." Aditi fired back.

Lara rolled her eyes at her with a smirk.

"Guys are you serious? You're arguing because of scores?! C'mon mate." Bunny shook his head in disappointment and left the conflicting huddle as it was.

Oh great. He had just left me. He really cares for me doesn't he? I thought sarcastically.

After a few minutes, I heard a knock on the door.

I jerked up and rested my ear on the wooden door.

"Naina?" A soft voice came from the other side.

Bunny's innocent voice made my heart heavy and I felt obliged to open the lock slowly.

I pulled back the door hesitantly and used it to hide my threatened down face.

I saw him smiling protectively at me with his gloriously bright eyes.

I didn't smile back. I almost looked like I was scared. I was scared.

"Hey." He began energetically.

I opened the door wide, letting him see the state I was in.

Tears had seeped into the roots of my skin and had now been stained. I probably had bags under my eyes from crying so much, but I didn't care. Nor did he.

Bunny's smile turned into a frown and he pulled me into a hug emotionally.

I closed my eyes and my sobbing began again; resting my head on his warm chest.

We rocked gently in a comforting embrace.

"You know, you're probably going to be more successful than me, Avi and Aditi combined!" He joked, making me stand still.

"Don't worry! One little exam doesn't mean anything."

"But - what will I say to my parents?" I said timidly, clutching onto his shirt tightly.

He pushed my shoulders back and cupped his hands around my face.

"If you need me to come and say 'daddy ji, your daughter is the topper and WILL be the topper of this whole year group', then I shall be more than happy to." He smiled.

I shook my head in disbelief and a chuckle slipped out.

"That's more like it, ain't it?!" He cheered my up and wiped my tears off my cheeks.

I sniffed and giggled at my silliness at the same time.

"Just stay happy, Naina." He said in a whisper.

I blinked towards him and our eyes locked for a few minutes.

I broke my eye contact gently, and he shuffled a bit.

"Err, alright then. Let's get going." He moved out awkwardly and I laughed.

He waved back and bumped into a guy.

"Dekh ke chalo bhai." He shrugged.