The Secret Message

"Words are just words, anyway."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Minxie's POV

I was in my room the next morning, trying to escape the world as I played with my kittens. Of course, that completely backfired when the doorbell rang.

I waited for someone in the house to get it, but no one moved. I expected Kylie to start yelling at us for not answering, but she didn't, and I guessed that she was probably out somewhere.

"Someone's at the door!" I shouted, but there was no response. "Mitchell! Rin? Ryuu? Ugh..." I stood up, opening my room door.

"The doorbell!" I shouted again, looking out at the hallway. Still, I saw no one. I sighed deeply, "Ah, you're all useless!" 

I went down the staircase and towards the front door, yanking it open. I was surprised to see Shikamaru standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"Minxie," He greeted.

"Shikamaru," I greeted, "Hey. Is something going on?"

"We're decoding the message Lord Jiraiya left," He explained. "We need your help."

"We?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow. 

It was then that Naruto emerged from behind Shikamaru and said, "Hey."

I felt like someone had just knocked the air out of my lungs. I stared at Naruto for a while, completely silent. The way he stared back made me sure that things were going to be awkward between us.

Shikamaru looked in between us, "Um... Is there something going on with you two?"

"No," I answered quickly, at the same time Naruto answered, "Yes."

I gave Naruto a hard stare, then looked back at Shikamaru. "It's nothing."

"So what happened was nothing?" Naruto asked.

"Of course not," I replied.

"Then why are you saying it's nothing?" He inquired.

"Why are you being such an ass?" I snapped, scowling at him.

"Why can't you just answer the question?" He shot back, and I felt like I had been slapped.

Shikamaru was now utterly confused. "Um... Huh?"

"Don't ask," I said quickly. "Just let me get my jacket."

"All right," Shikamaru said, but I knew he was uncomfortable.

I grabbed my jacket from the coat rack and slipped it on easily, heading back to the doorway. Instead of facing Shikamaru, however, I faced Naruto.

By faced, I mean I accidentally slammed into his chest. I immediately put my hands up, keeping some distance between us.

I went right, but Naruto had the same idea. I went left, and again, we bumped into each other.

I was completely stressed at the point. Things were so awkward before, and us being this close to each other was only making it worse!

Suddenly, Naruto took a step back, moved to the side, and moved his hands in a gesture for me to walk in front of him.

I murmured a thank you and walked forward. Shikamaru was at my side instantly.

"Did you guys kiss or something?" He asked.

"No!" I snapped, and he put his hands up.

"Okay, okay," He surrendered. "But you guys are best friends. Today, things are really... Awkward."