Chapter 1

Mara Bates was sitting next to Molly Aster in the gold trimmed horse drawn carriage. They, along with Mrs. Bumbrake, their governess, and Leonard Aster, Molly's father. They were on their way to the dock, the carriage rocking and bumping violently due to the uneven wooden planks.

Mrs. Bumbrake was to travel with them on their journey aboard the Never Land, while Mr. Aster traveled on the Wasp with the starstuff.

Mara was in no way related to the Aster's. So in no way did she resemble them. While their family trait was their striking green eyes and brown hair, Mara had grey eyes and brownish blonde hair.

However, she did in fact, live with them. Her parents were one of the many who had died moving a batch of starstuff.

The Bates and the Asters were close family friends, and Molly and Mara already thought of themselves as long-lost sisters, so the Asters had no problem taking in the poor girl.

The carriage stopped suddenly, almost throwing Molly and Mara off their seats. The door on the left side opened and a hand reached into the carriage to help Mrs. Bumbrake out. Then Mr. Aster stepped out, turning and reaching back into help Molly and Mara out.

The girls and Mrs. Bumbrake's bags were carried up the gangway of the Never Land by some burly looking sailors, while Mr. Aster's was hauled away to the Wasp. Mrs. Bumbrake quickly followed her trunk up the gangway, but Mara and Molly stood next to it, with Mr. Aster.

"You'll be fine here, alright girls?" Mr. Aster confirms.

"You mean out of all the excitement?" Mara raised an eyebrow.

"That too." Mr. Aster laughed. "I'm gonna miss you two. Don't forget to check in with me via Ammm. Molly, don't let Mara get too crazy without me there. But don't let her sit in your room reading the entire time. Mara, be polite to Mrs. Bumbrake. Just humor her for now."

"Yes, father." Molly nodded, ever the obedient child.

Mr. Aster nodded, taking Molly's answer as Mara's answer. He should have known better.

"Wait, you mean for the first thirty seconds, right?!" Mara called out to him before he could walk away.

Mr. Aster laughed and shook his head. "The entire trip, Mara!"

"Never gonna happen!" She called back laughing, before taking off the gangway, her silver skirts swishing around her.

Mr. Aster put a hand on Molly's shoulder. "Try to get her to keep the dress on for the first couple of hours at least, please."

Molly looked up to the deck of the Never Land. "Too late." Mara had shed her silver dress and her corset. Molly knew that Mara had trousers and a blouse underneath though.

Mr. Aster sighed. "Try to keep her from giving Mrs. Bumbrake a heart attack, then."

Shouting from the deck was heard from where the two were standing. Then they heard the thump of something, or more accurately, someone, dropping onto the deck. They both sighed again and in unison said, "too late."

"I'd better get up there." Molly sighed, shaking her head.

"That you should." Mr. Aster laughed and watched his daughter rush up the gangway to try to keep Mara out of too much trouble, then turned and walked up the gangway to the Wasp's deck.

Molly made her way over to where Mara was standing, Mrs. Bumbrake on the floor a few feet away from her, her dress and corset folded over her arm.

"Must you give Mrs. Bumbrake such a scare?" Molly asked.

"Yes. yes, I must. It's actually a lot of fun. You should try it someday." Mara laughed.