Chapter 8

Mara landed in the water swimming the rest of the way to get to James. Mara held James in her arms, and walking them back to the beach and the rest of the boys and Alf.

Once they were on dry land, the rest of the boys crowded Mara, hugging her, thanking her for coming back to them.

James did not let go of Mara, even when the other boys did. Mara had to lead him over to Alf, just so she could talk to the man. "Thank you, Alf, for taking care of these boys. I know that we didn't meet on the best of terms, but I hope we can be friends."

"Of course, miss." Alf said.

"Call me Mara. Again, thank you." Mara smiled, reaching her hand out to Alf, who shook her hand.

"It's no problem." Alf grinned, watching as she turned back to the boys, only to get tackled to the sand by them.

Mara watched as a long boat, that now held Peter and Molly reached the shore. Mr. Aster stepped out first, pants rolled up as not to get them wet.

Rolled up pants went going to solve not getting his pants wet. In fact, by the time Mara was done, his shirt and hair would be wet too.

Mara raced forward, out of the grip of James, and tackled Mr. Aster into the water. They fell laughing, into the water, soaking his shirt, pants, shoes, and hair.

"Mara! It's good to see you again!" Mr. Aster laughed. Messing up her hair.

"It's been too long, Mr. Aster." Mara agreed.

"Yes, it has, but I think you need to get off me in order to get a proper hug." Leonard laughed.

"Leonard Aster, are you trying to get me off of you?" Mara raised an eyebrow.

"Psh. Me? Never." Mr. Aster grinned, pushing Mara off him and into the water.

"Gah! Cold water!" Mara screeched. The crew in the boat laughed.

"Don't you laugh at me! I know all your wives and their addresses. I will tell them!" Mara threatened. Everyone laughing immediately quieted.

Leonard pulled the boat onto shore, and helped people out of the boat. Mara hugged several, the turned to Mr. Aster. "I recall, you owe me a hug."

"Oh really? I don't remember that..." Mr. Aster grinned.

Mara rolled her eyes and took a step forward. "I will tickle you."

"Fine fine. But this hug is forced!" Leonard said dramatically

Mara grinned and raced into his waiting arms. The other people got back into the longboat, and rowed back to the rock, donning gold equipment as they went.

Mr. Aster explained that yellow armor was actually gold. "We've got the starstuff back now, thanks to you. Molly, Mara. You two did extraordinarily well. Two young starcatcher, alone, defeating Slank and that giant of his."

"It wasn't just us. It was Peter too. In fact, it was mostly Peter!" Molly declared.

"Is that so?" Leonard asked.

"It is, Father. Peter was wonderful. There's so much I need to tell you, but for starters, he rescued me from Slank, and he came up with the idea of taking the starstuff from the trunk." Molly rambled.

"It wasn't just me." Peter blushed. "It was Teacher's idea and Mara's idea too."

"I suppose." Molly said coldly.

"Teacher?" Mr. Aster asked.

"That mermaid there, the yellow haired one." Peter pointed.

"And you picked up the box?" Mr. Aster asked.