Chapter 3

The next three days were relatively boring. Nothing happened, although she had finished two books and was halfway through her third.

Molly, who was able to leave the room, came back on the third night, and spoke her concerns out loud.

"I think they might have switched the boxes around, Mara." Molly spoke after a moment of silence, glancing over at Mara who was reading on the bed, laying on her stomach.

"I do too." Mara sighed, not looking away from the book.

"We should go take a look." Molly looked dead serious.

"Go ahead, Mol."

"You should come with me." Molly pleaded.

Mara looked away from her book to give her a meaningful look She placed a bookmark in the book, closing it and sat up from her previous position. "You know I can't"

"But you'd always be up for something like this!" Molly looked confused and slightly annoyed.

"I've caused enough trouble already. Besides, Mrs. Bumbrake will know that I left the room. She's like a god damned ninja sometimes." Mara waved her arms around dramatically.

"Profanity!" Molly whisper yelled.

"Don't change the subject." Mara yawned.

Molly thought for a bit, lips drawn in a frown. "Oh... I guess you're right."

"I'm always right!" Mara declared, rolling back onto her stomach to continue reading.

Molly left the room after that and the room stayed quiet for a few precious minutes.

Sadly, it didn't last. Mara heard the yelling from farther below. "Here, now!" A deep voice yelled. "Stop, whoever you are!"

Then came the running footsteps coming down the hallway. The door opened and shut quickly. "Geez, Mol, be a little more discreet will you? You know Mrs. Bumbrake will blame this on me, and I'm in enough shit as it is." Mara groaned from her spot on the bed, still reading.

"First, profanity. Second, I'll tell Mrs. Bumbrake that you were here with me all night." Molly sighed.

"Oh... OK! Carry on." Mara's voice brightened.

"Molly, Mara... what..." Peter looked from Mara to Molly and back again.

Mara screeched and rolled off the bed, onto the floor with a loud thunk. She hadn't been aware that Molly had brought company. "We met again, my lover." Mara rested her head against the floor, stroking it softly with one hand.

"Where have you been?" Peter gasped. "James was worried sick! And who are you talking to?"

"Grounded. My wonderful lover." Mara grimaced.

"Oh... I'm sorry but, who's your lover?"" Peter asked, only a little disturbed.

"The floor." Molly clarified, and seeing Peter's confused expression, added, "it's a inside joke."

"Oh..." Peter nodded.

"You need to go, before Slank gets here." Molly said, starting to push Peter out the door.

"Alright. But what was..." Peter started.

Molly cut him off. "There's no time. Mara! Where's the bag?"

Mara sat up quickly, grabbed a brown-paper bag out from under the bed, and tossed it to Molly. "Tell James "hi" for me, and please explain to him why I haven't been able to visit, please Peter." Mara called out as Molly shoved the bag into Peter's hands and pushed him the rest of the way out the door.