Part 2

“She’s awake.” A manly voice filled the air. “Baby, Selena, are you okay? Can you hear me?” A woman’s voice this time. “Don’t bombard her, she’s going to get confused. Give her at least fifteen minutes to wake up, before we explain anything too her.” The manly voice said. I didn’t open my eyes, I just lay there. I could hear the female voice mumbling something, and a hand squeezing my arm. 

A few minutes later, I opened my eyes. I blinked a few times, and stared at the roof. It was white, with five bright lights shining down on me. I squinted as I stared into them. “Selena?” The female voice said. I lifted my head up. “Oh, my god.” The pain in my head was unbearable, I lay straight back down, the hand that was holding my arm was gone now. “Go get a nurse. Tell them that she tried to sit up but she can’t.” The female voice said. A hand searched across the bed for mine, and held it tightly. “Selena, it’s mom.” The female voice now had a name. “Where am I?” I asked, squeezing mom’s hand. “You’re in the hospital. You had a car accident. The car is totalled, you’re lucky to be alive.” Mom explained. This time, I sat up and ignored every pain in my body. “What?!” I asked, rubbing my left eye with my free hand. “It was raining, a car drove into the side of yours. But the nurse is coming now, she’ll tell you.” She said. I nodded and ran a hand through my hair. 

“Hello, Selena. How are you feeling?” The nurse asked me. She had a name badge that said Renee and long, brown hair and big blue eyes, she was beautiful. “Uh, confused. I don’t… I don’t remember driving or anything.” I told her. She nodded. “That’s normal, I don’t expect you to remember anything from that day. But can you answer me a few questions?” She asked, writing down notes on her notepad. “Of course, yeah.” I replied. She asked me simple questions, like the date, my birthday, my full name and my address. “Her memory is fine, but she might not be able to remember anything through the day of the accident, which is completely normal.” Renee told my mother. “Can you remember anything of the day, Selena?” My mom asked me. “No.” I told her. “The last thing I can remember, is being at home with you, making pasta.” I recalled to mom. Mom nodded. “That was the day before, she’s alright.” I could see the relief on mom’s face. There was a knock on the door, and Renee went to answer it. “Oh, good. We just checked her out, do you wanna come see her?” She said to whoever was on the other side of the door. “Yes.” The familiar voice said. I cocked an eyebrow up, and there was Justin. He walked to me slowly, hands in is pockets.

“I’ll leave you two alone. If you need anything, call out to me.” My mom said. Justin sat down in the chair next to the bed and stared at me. “Hey.” He said. “How did this happen? Do you know anything?” I asked him. He nodded. “When you were driving off from my place, you had the accident. I can’t believe I let that happen to you.” He said, kicking his feet. “So, I was at your place beforehand?” I asked, trying to recall the day before. “You don’t remember?” He asked. I shook my head. “They said, I won’t be able to remember anything from that day. So.” There was a bottle of water next to my bed. “Is that yours?” I asked. He nodded, and passed me the bottle. “Thank you.” I unscrewed the cap and took a sip. “So… You don’t remember anything? Anything that day at all?” He asked, a slight smirk on his face. “No, why?” I asked. He smiled. “Nothing, nothing.” He leaned back in the chair and smiled at the roof. I raised an eyebrow. “Why are you smiling? This isn’t a happy moment, Justin.” He turned his head straight to me, and nodded. His smile faded and he took my hand. “I love you.” He said, biting the corner of his bottom lip. I tried my best to smile, but my head felt like it was gonna explode. “I love you too. Can you get a nurse please?” Justin smiled and nodded. “I just have to make a call to Ryan first. I love you so much, okay.” He said. I ignored him and lay back down. I heard his voice travel from the hallway to my room. 

“Dude, she doesn’t remember anything from the day. Like, nothing at all. I got off clean!”